Ch.21 Connor

I heard my phone vibrate from my back pocket but I ignored it. I grit my teeth and let the phone vibrate it's little heart out.

It was a call, judging by the way it kept vibrating. I put my phone on the grass as I sat down at a park a few blocks down from my house.

Before I could take much of a break, though, I hear footsteps approaching me. I grab my phone and quickly climb the tree.

I wanted to scream at whoever came, get mad at them, but something stopped me. A feeling that I shouldn't.

And for good measure, because when I looked down, Evan was sitting under the tree, on his phone.

He seemed to be out of breath but when he eventually caught it he took his phone out and called me.

I quickly ended the call, making it seem as if it went straight to voicemail. I heard Evan sigh, though I couldn't tell if it was because he was worried or something.

I watched his movements closely. The way he messed with his phone case and would put his fingers on the back of his head and pull at his hair.

He seemed nervous as the beep rang out into the air. Everything stilled for a moment and I was suddenly aware of just how loud my breathing was.

But then a voice cut through the silence, "hey, Connor. I... I don't know how to explain to you that the kiss with Zoe was nothing.

She kissed me and I think for her it was heat of the moment stuff- but, Connor. It meant nothing for me."

I watch as he fumbled with the phone, almost dropping it. I felt myself get a little mad but when I saw him so nervous and apologizing, I couldn't bring myself to act on the anger.

"Connor, I-I just want you to know that I'm sorry. I don't know how you took the kiss but I swear I didn't feel anything. I don't like Zoe. I like you.

"I will always only like you, Connor."

He pauses, taking a deep breath before continuing. I can't help but notice his voice sounds shaky.

"So... call me back when you can. It's kinda... time sensitive?"

My mind immediately fogs up. Time sensitive? Why would this be time sensitive?

I shake off the confusion and quickly jump out of the tree, stalking off in the opposite direction of where Evan was.

I hear some scrambling from behind me as I walk away before I hear Evan yell out, "Connor!"

I don't turn around. I don't want to face him and get an explanation. I want to be mad or sad or anything. I don't want my emotions to be filled by this boy.

"Connor, wait!"

I feel a hand grab my wrist and I immediately pull back, turning to face Evan.

"No, Evan. Apologizing doesn't change the fact that you kissed my sister," I yell out at him.

Evan shrinks back but manages to say, "I-I didn't ki-kiss her. She kiss-kissed me, I swear. Please, Conn—."

"No, Eva-," I stoped midsentence when I felt warm lips come onto mine. Evan's lips. I pushed Evan off before saying, "Evan, you idiot. Fuck off!"

I walk away seething mad. I didn't go home, no. I wanted to get high.