Ch.20 Evan

I pushed Zoe off of me and in my dazed state I ran after Connor.

"Connor, wait. Connor," I yell after him. I really should've taken more gym classes. "Connor! Please."

Connor stopped abruptly, causing me to run into him. He turned around and faced me, his face filled with anger.

"No, Evan. I go and I say sorry to my mom and I think that maybe I can make my life good again. And then I walk out and see my sister and boyfriend kissing," Connor yelled at me.

I shrunk back a little but managed to respond, "C-Connor, please. Sh-she kissed me and I was surprised. Pl-please."

"Evan, she has a girlfriend! You have a boyfriend! Everything about that scene was wrong! Everything," he turned around and stormed out of the house.

I watched as he left, wanting to go after him. My body wouldn't let me, though. My mind was screaming to follow him but I couldn't... I couldn't.

After he left I felt my body fall to the ground. I was crying, so, so hard. I covered my eyes with my hands and bawled.

It wasn't until Ms. Murphy, Connor's mom, went up to me that I stopped.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong," she asked. I looked at her, she was a little blurred from the tears but I could make out her blue shirt and black leggings.

She doesn't even know me. Why is she—? Oh. Oh.

I rub my eyes and see Zoe standing on the first step of the stairs, looking at me worriedly. Zoe set her mom up to help me.

It makes sense now. I mean, if you saw a random person crying on your floor I don't think your first instinct would be to help them. Mine sure wouldn't.

Ms. Murphy helped calm me down. She did breathing exercises and helped talk about other things, taking my mind off of Connor, even if it's just for a little while.

I was a little surprised. She knew a lot about calming someone down. Maybe she needed to use it on Connor.

I mean, Connor is one to get really mad about things.

And then I remembered the whole kiss thing. I thanked Ms. Murphy before telling her that I had to get going.

She didn't ask me any questions, just nodded and let me be on my way. I gave her a thankful glance and ran out the door.

I didn't know where I was running. I didn't know Connor's neighborhood very well, so I just chose a random direction.

I kept running until I felt like I would collapse. Connor's neighborhood is huge. I had stopped right next to a park.

I let out a puff of air and walked into the park slowly. There was no one there and it seemed like no one would be there for a while.

One one side there was a playground, swings and all the fun little kids toys. On the other side sat a basketball court and a large oak tree.

I went over to the oak tree and sat down. I sat for a while, closing my eyes while trying to make my breathing less erratic.

After a while, my heart calmed down and my lungs stopped burning and I was left in silence.

I didn't know what to do about Connor so I took out my phone and went to contacts. I found Connor's name and dialed his number.

Ring... ring... ring.

"Please leave a message after the beep."