Ch.7 Connor

"Hey, don't do it, please."

I saw Evan turn around shakily. He had tears streaming down his face. I don't know why but I wanted to comfort him.

I wanted to hug him and tell him it was okay. That nothing would hurt him again. But I couldn't. I had hurt him before. I shoved him into some lockers.

Evan climbed back over the railing and sat down on the ground when he was safely away from falling off the edge. He leaned back on the railing and took a few breaths.

I asked the question again, "why are you up here?"

Evan gave a small shrug. The shyly patted the spot next to him and I walked over and sat with him. He took in a few deep breaths before talking.

"I guess I just want to stop. I want to stop the scars that grow, every time that I go home."

He gave me a sad look and continued, tears streaming down his face, "that's why I came up here instead. To stop it all."

I felt like crying. Why, oh why, did he feel this way? I just wanted to help him. I don't know why but I wanted to help him.

I wanted to make sure he never felt like this again. I wanted to make sure that he'd never come up here again.

Oh god, why do I care? Soon enough he'll be all good and I'll be all gone. Soon enough we'll be little ripples in time. There'll be no trace we were here.

But I really wanted to. I could feel my fingers twitching with the urge to just hug him. After what felt like hours I gave in.

I pulled him into a hug. I heard him let out a gasp and I was about to let go but I felt him hug me back. I felt him hug me back.

We stayed like that for a while before Evan pulled away. He stood up and held out a hand for me.

"Hey, uhm- my-my mom won't be home t-till late, w-would you like to may-maybe, um, stay over?"

I smiled a little bit. I nodded and let him lead me down the stairs and towards my car. We hopped in and drove over to his house.