{21}

{21}

            It was as if the night before never happened. Viktor didn’t acknowledge me, and Conrad didn’t even spare me a second glance as Bay looped her arm through mine. We walked down the hall in a line, Carrie on my right, Bay on my left, while the boys stuck to the back.

            A few stared at us as we made our way down the hall. We passed David at his locker surrounded by his friends, Stephanie surrounded by her posse. She glared and my gaze passed right over her. Her comment the day other day replayed in my head. It reminded me what Viktor had said.

            They both thought I was wrapped around David’s finger.

            Viktor didn’t like David.

            Stephanie wanted David.

            Whatever Vik knew, it had something to do with David.

++

            I sunk into the old couch. Mark and Carrie disappeared and something told me they wouldn’t be back for a long while. Bay was taking a test, and as usual Conrad and Viktor were nowhere to be found. But I was okay with that because I needed to think.

            David.

            David.

            David knew something.

            I jumped when someone fell onto the couch next to me. Conrad smiled down at me as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me into his side.

            “Tired?”

            I rolled my eyes and tired to scoot away from him but failed when his grip tightened.

            “Leave me alone, Con.”

            “Why?”

            “Leave me alone, Conrad. You’re pissing me off.” I mumbled as I pushed myself up from the sofa.

            I grabbed my bag off of the floor by the door, shouldered it, and started out of the basement. It was dark, but I had been down here enough times to know where I was going.

            “Where are you going?” Viktor’s deep voice startled me as I stopped in the middle of the hall and narrowed my eyes. He was walking down the narrow hall, coming in my direction while I was walking the opposite.

            “I need some fresh air,”