{40}

{40}

            “Malia,” my father called out.

            I stopped walking and slowly turned around. My father stood under the kitchen archway, his arms crossed over his chest. He was in a pair of jeans and a dark blue sweater. He wasn’t in his uniform and it was weird seeing him in this environment.

            “Yeah?”

            He stared at me and took a few steps closer to me. There was still a lot of distance between us but it was better that way. We hadn’t spoken in such a long time that it was as if we were strangers to each other living under the same roof.

            I had started sleeping here a few nights a week. I couldn’t always be over at Conrad and Viktor’s house. I needed my own space and time away from them and I knew Viktor needed it also. I didn’t want to turn into one of those couples who sent every waking moment together.

            My father cleared his throat before he raised his head. “I’m sorry.”

            Stunned, I stood frozen in my spot.

            “I already lost one of the two most important women in my life. I don’t want to lose you as well.”

            This time, I cleared my throat. What was I supposed to say? Do? I wasn’t one to have emotional talks. I always got awkward and weird.

            “You won’t,” I shrugged.

            “But I feel like I already have.”

            I shook my head, “You didn’t.”

            My father turned his lips up into a smile and slightly nodded. “Going out?”

            I nodded.

            “Have fun.”

            “Always do.”

            “Be careful.”

            “Always am.”

            “I love you.”

            “I love you, too, dad.”