{37}

{37}

            Bay, Carrie, and I sat on Conrad’s couch.

            We were always here and it seemed Conrad’s mother, Clarissa, knew that. I had met her a couple of times before. The first time had to have of been the most embarrassing way to meet someone.

            It had been on one of the afternoons that Viktor and I had alone while everyone else went to go buy food and movies. That meant we had exactly two hours before the house was full and loud like every other night.

            Usually, we stayed downstairs. I cleaned up despite knowing my efforts at cleaning would be waisted the moment Mark entered the house. However, this time around we were up in his room, laying down on the bed.

            Things had been getting hot and heavy and just as I was pulling my shirt over my head the bedroom door opened and in walked in Conrad’s mother, Viktor’s aunt.

            One second I was straddling Viktor with my shirt raised and the next I was on the floor. She didn’t seem phased, which I questioned after she left, but after getting my shirt back on correctly, I stood up and straightened myself out.

            She was amused.

            She laughed, introduced herself, and then told Vik she was leaving for work.

            As she was closing the door behind us she threw in “Be safe!” right before slamming the door shut behind her.

            It had been awful.

            I had been so embarrassed I had jumped onto the bed and then proceeded to whack Viktor was a pillow.

            That had been a few days ago, the day Ms. Stephanie Grove got a taste of her own medicine.

            Now the girls and I sat on the couch watching a rerun of SpongeBob Square Pants. I mentally laughed as I recalled overhearing a conversation a few underclassmen we having. They were discussing what certain groups did in their free time.

            Apparently, ‘the out crowd’ as Stephanie had branded us, did hard drugs, partied, vandalized, and stole cars in our free time. If only they knew we watched movies, eat pizza, and had completions on who could burp the loudest.

            But my friends weren’t angels.

            And I was okay with that, because even though they had done some things, that didn’t mean they weren’t good people. They cared for each other, they looked out for one another, and even though they fought about 95% of the time, they loved each other. They were a family.

            And I was a part of that family now.