CHAPTER 3: Midnight talk

I changed into a red floral skirt and a black skinny top, applied a bit of mascara and combed my hair. I wanted to look girly so that my parents are assured that they have given birth to a girl who, however, has changed into a tomboy nerd over time.  I moved down as gracefully as I can and my not-so-familiar dad gave me a quick peck on my cheeks. I don't remember when I last spent quality time with my father. I guess it was when I went for my vacation in Bali 2 years back. After my custody was given to mom, I lost the father-daughter bond we shared. I really miss him at times.

"Hey princess, you look marvellous. Come, have a seat." Said my dad in his sugary voice. I noticed my mom rolling her eyes so I said nothing but smiled at him. I wondered what was the reason behind this family dinner. We sat in silence and I munched on my food realising we were using the dining table after really long. I usually had meals in my room or in the living while my mom was out working.

My father broke the silence saying in his usual sweet voice,
"Lia you are turning 18 next month, an adult finally. You will be responsible enough to decide things then."
I saw my mother's face redenning with anger and understood where the conversation was heading to- my custody. I would be an adult in August and I have to decide with whom I wanted to stay- my caring mother or the protective father. It was a hard choice. I loved both of them and I couldn't hurt one. Though I wanted to spend time with my dad as I had been with mom for the last 7 years, I can't hurt her with my decision.
GOD! What to do! This can't be happening.

"Look, it's okay if you don't want to stay with your dad. You can tell him honey." Demanded my mom.

"You don't need to pressurise her like this, Olivia. Let her make her own decision."my dad snapped

"I have been taking proper care of her since the past 7 years. She didn't need you and she won't in future as well."

"Yes and that's because jury decided a 10 year old needs a mother. Now she is an adult. She can live with me. I can show her the world."

"Lia doesn't know how irresponsible you are. You don't need to show her your true colours, James."

Okay. My family dinner has turned out to be a court case. Before I realised, tears were already streaming down my cheeks. My parents had forgotten their daughter was sitting on the same table, listening to their heated conversation and abuses now.

"STOP IT BOTH OF YOU! ENOUGH!"
I screamed at the top of my voice, holding back tears.
"I don't want to stay with anyone of you. If this is the way you fight for my custody, I wish I never existed."
I ran upstairs leaving my parents in a state of shock and not bothering to look back. Shutting the door, I laid crouched on the cold hardwood and let the darkness engulf me.

Why did my parents even marry? How can their love just disappear like this? If this was the condition from the first, they shouldn't have given birth to me. Love doesn't exist. It's just a waste of time which will turn into hatred and disgust. I wanted to end my shitty life. However, the sudden vibration of my phone broke the string of endless thoughts and I pulled myself up to receive the call.

"What!" I snapped at the stranger, irritated.
"I thought people say hello when they pick up an unknown call." Replied the very familiar angel-like voice and I knew who the stranger was.

"How did you get my number, Zayn?" Though I was quite happy that he got my number, I didn't want him to hear my cries or groaning and laugh at me.

"It wasn't hard. I just had to flaunt my muscles and abs infront of the receptionist. " said the self obsessed and the most obnoxious guy.

I chuckled through the tears at his proud reply and wiped my noise, trying to digest that I was talking to Zayn Foley at the middle of night.

"Hey, nerdie are you crying?"
Oh no! This was the last thing I wanted. HOW DID HE KNOW?

"No, no it's nothing like that." I lied

"Listen, I know you don't like me but you can share with me if you want."
And at that moment, the vision of my parents fighting and screaming at each other flashed through my mind. My tears were successful in finding their way out, again and I burst out crying.

"I-I wanna d-die. My p-parents are 
f-fight-ting for me." I stammered trying to hold back the endless sobs, choking me.

"Tell me. It's okay to cry. I will listen." He said sternly, a dark edge leathering his tone.

"Promise?" I asked in a hoarse voice choking back tears. For a second, I realised I was making a guy promise whom I hardly knew. But there was something in him, in his voice that was like a magnet attracting me to him. What is happening to you Lia?

"Promise." He said

I poured out my feelings infront of him and cried my heart out. I didn't know what was I doing. I just needed someone to talk to. Someone who would listen to me and won't judge my hoarse voice and sobs. I didn't know if he would judge me and I didn't care, I just wanted to free myself of all the dark thoughts and with Zayn I felt comfortable.

The long night went by with my sobs as I told him about my parents fight and my sufferings. Why was he listening to me? He might be having a list of girls to talk to at night but why me? Was I special to him? I bet I am not even in that list of his. Then why is he there for me? I slept in his silence and my muffled sobs.

      ___________________________

"Lia! Get up! You are going to be late for school!"
Mom's loud scream bolted me up from my bed. It was already 7:12. Shit! I am late!
I hurried out of my bed. Put on my black jeans and hoodie and applied mascara as a cover-up for my red, swollen eyes. It was a long night.

And suddenly it struck me how I had spent my long night.

OH NO! I CRIED INFRONT OF ZAYN LAST NIGHT! HOW WOULD I FACE HIM AT SCHOOL TODAY?