1

1- Welcome Back

☆1- Welcome Back

Yoongi threw his old, torn backpack over his shoulders and walked out the door, not even bothering to eat breakfast. He pulled his hood over his messy, faded hair, preventing the warm rays of sun from hitting it and began his short journey to school.

He shoved his hands into his pockets, holding his oversized sleeves as he got closer to his destination. Yoongi stared down at the concrete, subconsciously avoiding the cracks between each slab.

"Did you hear? That kid with cancer is coming back."

"Wasn't it Jung Hoseok? I thought he died."

Yoongi closed his eyes and took a deep breath, hoping to avoid the chatter of his peers. He miserably failed, learning something he wasn't sure he was ready for. He's back? Yoongi thought to himself, refraining from breaking down in the middle of the school crosswalk.

--

Yoongi crawled into his desk and let his head carelessly fall onto it, ignoring the pain that followed. He was too tired to care. He began to drift off before the students began pouring into the classroom, causing a groan to escape his chapped lips.

He didn't bother sitting upright, even after the annoying chime of the bell rang through his ears.

Yoongi felt a few gentle taps at his shoulder which he tried to ignore. "Hey Yoongi-hyung. Wake up." His heart skipped a beat; he couldn't ignore that voice. He peeked at the boy before him. He seemed brighter than the all lights above them, almost blinding. Yoongi took a deep breath. He nodded as he lifted his head and the class began.

Yoongi couldn't help but steal a few glances at the beauty beside him. He was relieved that he was okay, but Yoongi didn't know if he was truly ready to face him. Unfortunately for him, it seemed to be too late.

"Welcome back, everyone. As you may have noticed we have a new face among us," a wave of murmurs flooded the room as they directed their gazes towards the red-haired boy. He nervously smiled, his face gradually turning a deep shade to match his hair.
The teacher continued to introduce him.

"...and I hope you treat him with the same amount of love and respect as everyone else." The majority of the students only nodded, they simply didn't care enough to listen to their teachers' rambling.

Yoongi sighed as he stared into the bathroom mirror, splashing his face with water. He left as soon as he heard the click of the door unlocking, ignoring the person that came through.

He walked to the cafeteria empty handed, scanning the room for an unoccupied table. He settled on one near the back where not many people were seated nearby. Yoongi brushed off the crumbs from the table, folded his arms onto it and let his head rest in them.

Yoongi took a deep breath before telling the front desk the name of the boy he had wanted to visit for so long. "He's in room 421," the nurse smiled as Yoongi walked past her, emotionless.

He stood in the elevator, playing with his fingernails as he contemplated what he would say. The elevator doors opened. Yoongi was hesitatant, but he walked through them, more nervous than he had been before.

He read the numbers beside each door, '400, 401, 402... 420, 421.' Yoongi's heart skipped a beat, he stared at the one thing separating him from one of the biggest mistakes he will have made.

He placed his hand on the doorknob before deciding to knock first. Yoongi slowly opened the door, afraid of what he would see.

Hoseok lay before him, tubes strapped to him, machines beeping around him. Yoongi squinted his eyes as he closed the door and walked to his crush. "Hoseok-ah, are you awake?"  He hummed in response. Yoongi sat in the chair beside Hoseok's hospital bed and gently grabbed his hand. "How are you doing?"

Hoseok slowly opened his eyes and averted his gaze to the mint-haired boy. "I'm doing a bit better," he smiled weakly. Yoongi rubbed the back of Hoseok's hand with his thumb.

They sat in a comfortable silence for a moment before Yoongi spoke again. "I-" He stopped, letting his breath fade into the warm air around them. Hoseok turned his head, suddenly curious. "If there's something you need to say, feel free to."

"It's just, I've never told anyone-" Yoongi cut himself off, closing his eyes and steadying his breathing. "I like you."  Hoseok raised his eyebrows, taken aback by the sudden confession.

"I'm sorry." 

The door opened, causing Hoseok to stare sadly at the man in the doorway. As soon as he heard the door click closed, Hoseok continued. "I like someone else..." He was no longer looking at Yoongi, but at the door, anticipation in his eyes.

Tears pricked at Yoongi's eyes, threatening to fall. He vigorously shook his head as he looked up, noticing something he had never seen. A boy was sitting across from him. "H-Hoseok-ah."

Hoseok tilted his head and smiled. "Are you alright?" Yoongi nodded, praying that his tears would fade away along with his feelings for the red-haired boy before him. "Have you eaten yet?" Yoongi shook his head as Hoseok offered half of his sandwich.

Thankfully, the bell rang. Yoongi stood up and walked away before Hoseok could say anything more.

Hoseok sat alone, finishing his lunch, not caring that he would be late to his next class. He thought back on everything he did wrong and how bad he felt about it. Hoseok knew it was too late to fix things, but he truly wanted to.

He was determined to regain Yoongi's trust and friendship.