Fireflies

Night, is a pathway. When the day fades and the light ebbs away like waves on the beach, sometimes, emotions begin to drip and create a drizzle of tears. The fading sky light gave way to my tears, as I watched and listened to a voice not my own. A routine beast had came by once more in my mind. The dark of night gave it cover, until it grew into a monster I couldn't shake off. I looked to the stars, and whispered a plea, something to show me I wasn't alone, someone to hold me close. Eventually, the tears made me numb, and sleep overtook me. Clouds rolled in and through my window, i saw lightning in the distance spark the skies. It rumbled twice, causing me to move from my place. In that movement, in that moment of waking, I saw a view unlike any other. Fireflies scattered across the lawn like stars twinkling in the clear sky. On and off each one seemed to turn. Some flew close to the window, and some as low as the ground of pavement below. Still now, I can't decipher whether or not it to be a dream, or reality. All that can be said is that the night filled with twinkling stars, felt like nothing I had ever seen before. It comforted me, assured me that someone was there in the skies watching over, and it will remain in my memories as something too beautiful to forget.