Airplanes Don't Fly on Saturday Nights

I wasn't ever one to sneak out and smoke and drink. In broad daylight that is. I know all of the dangers that come with it, after all, when your parents are like mine, they would never let me set foot inside the house again. Which may be why I moved out when I turned twenty. In highschool, I'd feel trapped. Never being able to do what I felt like I needed to, and never knowing what to do with the expectations that came naturally with life. So, I stayed up on weekend nights, from eleven or twelve, I would roll up my blinds and let the brightness of the street lamp glow into my room. Then, I would bury myself under blankets and rest my head on my pillow, as music from someone I loved played. I remember the sound, of the airplanes and cars in the dead silent of the night, when I knew everyone else was asleep. Sometimes, I would open the window and take the bug screen off, just so I could feel the taste of sneaking out. Even if it wasn't for real. Now, I feel exactly the same. I live in a house like my parents' and I share it with my brother, and a few friends since we agreed to buy the cozy home as soon as we got well paying jobs. The older friends take care of us mostly. Usually, I would watch airplanes fly in the night. They were like secret agents on a mission through the night sky, and I liked the way they progressed across the darkness slowly, their lights being the only thing setting them apart. Sometimes there would be five at a time, and I remember thinking 'oh how daring of you'. I stayed up on Saturday nights too, but not much happened. Airplanes were scarce then, so I watched the cars that seemed to always drive by. Then, I saw someone walk by. I never could tell if it was a he or not until I met him, but he always came around the corner with the street light, and would sit there. He'd light a cigarette and lean his head back to watch the sky. One night, he seemed to notice me watching him. He said nothing, but instead, in the glow of the streetlight, he pointed up at the sky. It was a Saturday night, and he had managed to point out the sole Airplane flying that night. When I looked back down to the man, he was gone, just like the airplane. That was how it went. We'd both watch the sky and stars, and sometimes we'd watch each other. One Friday night, before the airplanes were sent out to fly, I saw him. He had drinks, and a box of cigarettes in his hand. He also had a phone. In the dying light, I could see his face. He was handsome, and his hair was black, and it was styled in a way that made me want to touch it. Just to see if it was held up by his pure handsomeness, or gel. He didn't smile, but instead he held up a bag, and on it were the words LADDER. It made me smile and gave me a rush of excitement. When everyone had fallen asleep, I wandered out of the window and sat on the roof, and not before long, I was sitting next to the mystery man. It didn't seem like we needed to talk, it was simple. He knew something that seemed to link us together. I drank from the one cup he had brought, and learned to smoke using his lighter and his strange mint smokes. It was only when I started singing softly to myself that he spoke up.

 "I wouldn't take you as a singer." His voice was smooth, but there was a hint of it being scratchy and it was low.

"I'm not, but what is your name?" 

The man didn't smile, but instead took a long drag from the mint cigarette. 

"I can guess, your name issssss-"

"Its Jinsoo." 

 He, Jinsoo, seemed to say with a slight upper tone. 

"Your turn." Jinsoo had said as he passed me his cigarette.

"My name is Shi." 

Jinsoo had nodded, and let his head rest on my lap after that. 

"You know, I wouldn't have taken you for someone who fell for someone like me. Wearing a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and glasses with a bed head." I had said, letting my fingers comb through the hair that was not indeed gelled. 

"You sound like you're already too high." Jinsoo had taken the mint smoke away from me and placed it on his own lips. 

"But I think you're just a little tipsy. I seem to be too, because, I fell for you when I saw the way you watched the airplanes fly on friday nights. Then, I fell even more for you on saturday nights, where you knew I was watching with you." 

I had smiled and kissed him then and there. Then, with the sounds of airplanes in the sky, we watched them pass by. 

Once you learn that airplanes fly every night, you can also come to learn that, it's saturday nights where you can find wonders.

And you may realize that sometimes,

Airplanes don't fly on saturday nights.