not so dark

I can't sleep tonight, and I need a little warmth.

The cafe is calm and the recent rains leave the windows just a bit foggy and covered in droplets. Light shines in from the street and even through the droplets it casts a warm glow into the cafe. If only it felt like it was warm. The cafe has an atmosphere of home to me of course, but at the same time the corners of the room come together in the dark and instill just a bit of fear in me. It gives the feeling of a chill in the room when you sit in the bed in the loft above. The darkness is tinted blue, thus so that the bits of orange streaming in from the lamp outside make a sharp contrast in color. It's just me in the cafe at the moment. I dangle my legs off my bed into the open air and just sit, listening to the music that plays softly from my phone next to me. I can't remember the last time I sat and just watched so late into the night. No one lulls me to sleep, but someone does wander in. He's been here before, perhaps once or twice. His hair is short but grown out well. He's pretty tall too. He wears a sweatshirt and coat with a cap and casual jeans. The jeans might be joggers though, seeing as it is so close to midnight and there is only so much light for me to use to see him. He looks around before finding me in my pajama glory. He gives a bright smile, almost as if laughing at me, and waves. I wave back of course. Something in his eyes as he smiled made my lips turn up. When I made my way down to where he sat on the stairs to the loft, he turned to me with a fond look. 

"It's been a while."

I sit next to him with a sigh. 

"That it has, that it has." 

We both turn to watch the windows until he breaks the silence to ask for some snacks and coffee. I oblige and soon enough, the lights to the cafe are on. 

Suddenly, the night isn't so dark and it isn't so cold. Almost as if another warm light has been made to shine on stage.