Voicemail

"I haven't heard from you in a while." 

Silence on the other end, as I stare into the darkness of my room. 

"I miss you, you know." 

Static, as if there's only empty space on the other side of the radio waves. 

"...." 

Sobbing, on my side, as I can't help the tears as they start to fall from my eyes. Hot as fire in the back of my throat as I try to hush myself. 

"I miss you too baby. Take care of yourself okay? I know I'm not there right now but I'll be back soon. I love you."  

His voice echoes in the darkness. The words circle in the air around my head. 

The phone fades into a blur as I rub my face, snot covering the back of both of my sleeves as I bury myself further into my arms. 

"Please leave a message after the tone." 

I can barely make out the robotic voice. 

I hang up. 

His face greets me, eyes directed just past the camera, mouth turned up in a fond smile. His hand reaches out towards the phone. 

I don't hear when the voicemail tone ends.

I don't hear when the phone drops to the ground. 

All I can think of, screaming at me, is the click. Right before his voice soothes me. A message pre-recorded just for me, just in case he wasn't there. 

The click that meant he wasn't there on the other end at all.

And all I can do is trust his automated words.