Chapter IV

As Rita and I let go of each other, she turned bright red. "I... I didn't think we'd actually..." The blushing girl whispered. "I hope you're not upset." I chuckled. "N-not at all! In fact, I'm actually really happy!" She giggled. "Girls are so easy to please." I sighed shrugging. "What's that supposed to mean?" She objected. "You just have to get a kiss from the guy you like, then you're all happy." I replied. "Well... Why wouldn't I be? I mean, aren't guys the same way?" Rita asked tilting her head a bit. "I guess, but guys try to act like it's no big deal." I said tilting my head just like her. Then she shrugged. "Boys will be boys." She smiled.

"Alright, let's get outta here." I yawned stretching my arms. "But we can stay out as long as we want, today's the start of spring break." Rita argued as I helped her up. "But I also have homework, and I wanna get it done early." I stated. "Aw, But I don't have any..." She answered pouting. "I just wanna do it sooner rather than later. Then I don't have to worry about it." I answered putting my thumbs up. "I guess..." She sighed.

While we were walking home, I remembered how we started living together. When we were younger, our dads were war buddies. Our moms were always visiting, so I was too. Though, when we first met I actually hated Rita, but slowly I grew to like her. We grew up together, spent night and day playing like kids should. When about eight years ago, our dads were killed on the battlefield, and my mother took her own life after hearing the news. Rita's mom raised me like the son she never had, but soon went on a well deserved vacation. We didn't usually hear a lot from her, but she kept sending us money to keep a roof over our heads and the fridge full so I was fine with it.

When we got home I immediately started on my my homework, while Rita prepared dinner. "It's weird..." The girl mumbled setting the table. "What is?" I asked looking up from my paper. "It's kinda like we're... Married." She snickered quietly. I hesitated for a moment, then laughed too. "I guess so." I said not understanding why she brought that up.

After we ate, Rita went straight to bed, and I stayed up a little while longer to finish my essay. It was around midnight when I finally finished. Completely worn out, I climbed into bed and almost immediately fell asleep...

Then, I woke up around 3:30am to a knock at the door. "At this hour..?" I asked myself getting out of bed. I quietly made my way to the entrance, being carful not to wake up Rita. I then opened to door and saw a girl standing on my doorstep. The girl couldn't have been older than 12 and had black hair that reached her chin along with a pair of big crimson eyes. She was wearing some sort of ancient-looking armor that only covered her chest and shoulders, leaving her belly exposed. Below the small girl only wore dark underwear with a long rectangular piece of tattered fabric in the front and back and no shoes. But probably strangest of all, the girl had a pair of gauntlets that matched the style of her armor and encased her forearm up to her elbows. They had sharp fingertips, which made me a bit nervous. I had so many questions, but all I asked was "Are you a cosplayer?". "No, I am Alecto, the oldest of the Furies." She answered quietly. "You sure don't look like it..." I chuckled. "What was that?" She growled. "N-nothing, but do you know how late it is?" I sighed. "I will explain everything in a moment, but may I please come in?" She said. My eyes immediately went to her gauntlets and she noticed. "Oh, these are my Talons. My Sisters have them as well. They are our means of defense, but I will not attack you. I promise." The tiny girl replied examining them. "Fine. What's the worst thing that could happen?" I yawned.

"So why are you here, Alecto?" I asked crossing my arms as I sat down on the couch. She took a deep breath and started to explain while taking the spot beside me. "I was once aligned to Lord Hades, but I fled. There is no doubt that he will send my Sisters to find me. He will also most likely kill you too, because you now know of my existence. So I offer you a deal, You let me stay here and avoid Lord Hades, and in return I protect you from any dangers." She said. "Okay, slow down, you're from the Underworld?" I questioned. The small girl nodded. "Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound right now?" I sighed. "It is true!" She blurted standing up. "Well how am I supposed to believe you?" I groaned staring at her. "Please! You must believe me! Lord Hades is a cruel and vile being! Just let me stay!" Alecto begged jumping into my chest. "Okay, Okay! Calm down. Just don't cause too much trouble." I quickly agreed being shocked by how fastly that escalated. "Yay!" The Fury cheered getting off of me. I glanced down and saw that my shirt was now torn. "D-did your claws do this!?" I gasped looking down. "S-sorry! I will put them away until they are needed again..." She apologized as her Talons disappeared slowly and revealed her cute hands. "Sounds good. I guess you'll sleep here tonight..." I informed patting the sofa. "A-actually, may I stay with you?" She murmured. "Whatever keeps you quiet." I replied rubbing my eye. Alecto smiled and followed me to my room.  'What's Rita gonna say...?' I thought...