18. 4th of November

"This is Kate. Kate Gellis." Seung Hyun announced after everyone greet one another. "She's my girlfriend."

Girlfriend. She thought to herself, quite surprised hearing that word being labeled on her now.

When he said he's bringing someone, his mother knew that it is a special someone. No, very special.

After living for 33 years, Seung Hyun never brought any woman to meet his family. He only tells them who he's seeing, but never to the point where he officially introduce her to them. They would say their opinions about anyone who he's seeing and somehow, they always feel like the girls are playing with him.

When he told them about Kate, they didn't gave any comment nor concern. They only hear him out and told him they only wish for the best regarding his love life. Seung Hyun thought that maybe, his parents will not meddle on it anymore.

Her family is quite shocked after hearing the words, 'bringing someone', and then seeing a foreigner in front of them. The Chois aren't the old-fashioned type of Korean but accepting the fact that their son and brother is dating one is not very easy. "Hello, it's really nice to see you all." Kate said in Korean. For this dinner, she's going to try her best on speaking it.

"You speak Korean?" Seung Hyun's dad asked in awe. "Ne, I speak Korean a little bit." She replied, making everyone smiled in relief, knowing that they can communicate freely.

Everyone took their seats, the women look through the menu while Seung Hyun and his father are enjoying the presence of the little boy, Yeon Jun. "I think that's enough for now." Seung Hyun's sister, Choi Hye Yeon, said to the waiter as she returns the menu.

"Do you live here, Kate-ssi?" Hye Yeon asked.

Kate tucked some of her hair strands to the back of her ear, "ne, I've been living here for almost 3 months." She replied politely. "And you can speak Korean this much? Wow, I'm impressed." His mother said, looking over to her son who's been joking around with Yeon Jun.

His family started to bomb her with questions upon questions. Seung Hyun warned her about it so she prepared herself to face the sensitive ones.

"So you've been moving around Europe? That's really cool." The more answers she gave, the more her family is impressed. "There's always a new thing for a chef to learn and explore. I'm quite ashamed that I've never been to Asia before, this continent is filled with very delicious foods." Kate replied with her lack of Korean, but everyone still understand what she meant.

"And what about your family? Did they move around with you?" Hye Yeon dropped the sensitive question that Kate prepared to answer. "No, my mom died when I was in high school while my dad married another woman. They still live in Los Angeles." She said, hoping that they don't really care that Kate isn't very close with her family.

She knows that Korean parents tend to want a beautiful in-laws, holds a good position of work and et cetera. But Kate? Kate is just a woman who lives her life with no family.

Her father or step-mother is not the problem, but her step-brother is. That's why she decided to leave Los Angeles as soon as she's 18.

"I'm sorry to hear about your mom." She continued. "Ani, gwenchanayo." Kate said with a smile.

"Is it alright if I asked what your father do for a living?" This time, Seung Hyun's father asked. "Appa!" Seung Hyun exclaimed embarrassingly. "It's fine." She whispered to him, "he's a lawyer, my mom was an artist."

"You've got your mother's genes then." His mother said randomly. "That's right, I'm very grateful to have hers."

—•—•—

"Can we see each other again soon?" Hye Yeon asked as everyone gets ready to leave the room. "Of course! I would love to." Kate hugged her loosely, not wanting to be pushy. "Yeon Jun-ah, let's play again soon!" She squat before the little boy, patting his head softly. "Annyeongigaseyo, Imo!" He replied cheerfully.

While Seung Hyun said his goodbyes to his sister and nephew, Kate approached his parents with a bow. "Thank you for having me, Eomeonim, Abeonim." She said politely. "Ask Seung Hyun to drop you off at our house anytime. I'll cook you delicious foods." Mrs. Choi pats her arm with a smile.

After hearing that, Seung Hyun complained, "so you want her more than your son?" The adults laughed at his silliness.

"Drive safely, Seung Hyun-ah." Both his parents said as they're leaving the building.

"You too, Appa."