37. The Ring

The thoughts, questions and doubts that kept on haunting her disappear at that exact moment. All she can think of is that she wants to spend her entire life like this. With him.

"Yes." After two proposals, she finally said yes. They look into each other's eyes—sparkling, beaming, overwhelmed with joy and love. He smile a genuine smile, the kind of smile that says, 'I've won the world' as he hugs his world. "But can I ask you a favor?"

She pulls apart from their hug, holding his hand to let him know how important this is for her. "Something that might be hard for you to do." She continued, making him frown in confusion.

"Can you stop... smoking?" His eyebrows lift up in surprise. He thought that she's okay with his habit but he's proven wrong. "I want to. I just don't think I can." He confessed.

"Don't get me wrong, you're extremely hot when you smoke, Mr. Choi." She shows her guilty smile. "But if we're going to tie the knot, I want it to be long lasting. I don't want you to die."

Even if he can't stop it, she wouldn't change her mind on marrying him. Kate doesn't know much about his past. Though they practically live together, she doesn't want to be the person who force him to do or not to do things.

"Try to smoke only when you need to. And if it's possible, stop doing it. That's all I'm asking." She said softly.

"Okay."

—•—•—

"Can you help me?" She asked while slicing the pan seared tuna where Seung Hyun eats one. "Not eating it. Bring it to the dining table." She frowns, putting the sliced tuna on top of the salad. Kate is too busy to even step into the dining room.

He follow her orders, bringing the huge casserole filled with Boeuf Borguignon to the table, then the mashed potato and salad. "Thank you, darling." She said in her mother language. 

They look at each other surprised, laughing after he knows he didn't mishear. It took a second longer for her to come to her sense. "Neomu joha." She said, taking out her Croque Monsieur from the oven.

"You like? You... liiiiike?" He tease with his signature phrase. "I actually do." She replied, only to make him more enthusiastic.

Saved by the bell, he finally stops to open the door. "Konbanwa!" Kate and Seung Hyun bows to the family of four. "This is Kate." Seung Hyun introduce his woman.

"It's good to finally meet you." They replied before coming in. Seung Hyun and Kohei walks together while Kate, Asami, and her kids at their back. As they walk into the house, they stop over to see the new art pieces where Kohei and Asami have never seen before. It's always been like this for them, dinner and seeing Seung Hyun's private collection.

After looking through the art pieces on the second floor, they are now enjoying dinner over some wine. They compliment her foods, especially the Boeuf Borguignon. "You used to work at Boutary? We love that place." Kohei said. "Yeah, I worked there for a couple of years before leaving for London." Kate replied, spooning some more Salade Niçoise to her plate.

"And you met." Asami said with a sweet tone. "It's funny to look back again. If people ask me who I think I will end up with, I never imagine it to be an American chef." He laughs. "Like you two or Mark and Jen, you're all artist and lives in the same industry."

"We both are from two different worlds, united because of art and food." Kate fix her eyes on him as he continues to speak about them—their engagement and asking Kohei and Asami to help design the ring. "Whoa, I would be honored." He replied to his favor.

Kate and Seung Hyun tells him on how they want the ring to be; elegant, simple yet bold at the same time. They draw over dessert, four minds coming up with a ring.

"I can't believe I'm actually designing my own engagement ring." Her giggles make the other three laughs.

Asami spoke in Japanese to her husband, gesturing something on the drawing. Seung Hyun nod in agreement to whatever she said while Kohei proceed his drawing. Kate can only wait for the result and play with the kids instead.

"When I go back to Japan, I'll come up with another version so you can choose between them." Kohei said in English to Kate, showing the finished drawing. "I might have already fallen for this one."

She imagine how the ring will turn out to be in her mind. A big diamond rock circled with petal-shaped diamonds. "Beautiful, isn't it?" Asami smiles seeing their creation.

"Extremely."