35. Favor

She gulps her own saliva, what did I do? She thought to herself. "We know that it's not easy to be involved in Seung Hyun-ie's life." His mother said calmly. "He lives in a world that's so different from ours."

"We know that we already said this before, but as he's returning to the entertainment world, will it be okay for you to stay with him?" Kate immediately smile in relief, knowing that she did nothing wrong. "Of course!"

Seung Hyun's parents are terrified with whatever that's coming at him. He went through such a terrible time even when he's not active. With his comeback, they're afraid that things might go worse. They can't always be there to watch over him all the time but with Kate around, they hope that Seung Hyun will never be alone.

"Can you really do that? Can you look after him like you've always do?" Mrs. Choi grab both her hands on top of the table, giving a hopeful look.

Kate took a deep breath for a second, gathering up the courage to state her feelings. "I'll try my hardest to be the best for him." She face his father before turning to his mother, "but I can't promise you that we'll always be okay or.. or that we can be the perfect couple. Truthfully, I'm afraid that I can't do much for him. He's the one who comforts me and takes care of me."

Mr. and Mrs. Choi smiles upon hearing what she said. Finally, both of them are relieved knowing that Seung Hyun is in good hands. "Aniya. Our son is so much better and more mature after meeting you. You've done a lot for him and just you yourself being there with him makes us at ease, Kate-ah."

"We really thank you. You'll make a good wife." His father said happily. "I told Seung Hyun's dad about his son's proposal." Mrs. Choi confessed with a guilty giggle. "Oh, you did?" She follows her giggle.

Hearing the noises from outside, he walks out from his room to see his parents and girlfriend laughing away. "Eomma? Appa? " Seung Hyun is surprised seeing his parents sitting at the breakfast nook. "Seung Hyun-ah, how are you feeling?"

Seung Hyun sits at the empty chair beside Kate while stretching his neck, "I'm alright. When did you come?" He asked.

"20 minutes ago. Your girlfriend called us to tell that you're back in Korea." Mrs. Choi answered while taking a glance at her. "Mianhaeyo. I should've called you myself."

While the Chois are talking and catching up, Kate checks on her foods and prepare the side dishes his parents brought earlier. She tilts her head to the source of noises to see Mr. Choi taking out the cutlery to bring it to the dining table. "Thank you, Aboenim."

The four of them start to eat the foods that are served on the table and as soon as Mrs. Choi tried the fish, she smiles in amazement. "I think I should learn more from you, Kate-ah."

She's flattered upon hearing her compliment. In South Korea, mother-in-laws usually expect their daughter-in-laws to learn everything from her. Especially when it comes to taking care of her son, mother-in-laws demand the best and nags if things aren't done properly.

Knowing how Seung Hyun's parents are so kind-hearted and open-minded, she couldn't thank them enough to express her gratitude. "Anieyo." She replied shyly.

"It's a good thing to have a chef girlfriend, right? Especially when you are such a foodie." She tells her son in such a heartwarming way. Listening at his mother's indirect compliments makes her feel so loved.

After gulping some water, Seung Hyun says, "but no one can beat your Kimchi Fried Rice. Ms. Kate, you should learn how to make it from Eomma."

"Can I?" She asked. "Of course you can. I'll teach you next time I'm here." Mrs. Choi replied before asking in curiosity. "Geuraende, I don't get why you call her Ms. Kate." She pronounced the English word with thick Korean accent.

"We spoke English when we first met. Formally, foreigners call each other with Ms. or Mr. and when they got closer they'll call each other by their names." He explained. "So calling Ms. Kate or just Kate became a habit to me. She calls me like that too. Mr. Choi or Seung Hyun."

"So you don't call him 'oppa' or... what is it? Honey? Baby?" She again pronounced it slowly.

It is indeed awkward to discuss these kind of things with parents. Kate laughs in embarrassment after hearing his mother's question, "only when we're fooling around."

"Hahaha, gwiyeowo."