24. After London

"Mr. Choi! They're here." She exclaimed from the kitchen, busy with cutting carrots into chunks. "Merry Christmas Eve, Bro!" She hear the familiar voices from afar.

"Where's Kate?" The woman asked.

As soon as she spots Kate at the kitchen, she rolled up her sleeves. "What should I do?" She asked.

"Unnie, can you please grab the corn syrup?" Kate gave her a hopeless smile.

While Young Bae and Seung Hyun chat at the living room, the ladies continue to cook for their dinner. Soon, the house is filled with everyone except Dara.

After greeting each other with smiles and hugs, they all gather at the dining room. "Noona, is Dara coming?" Seung Hyun asked his sister.

"She's coming in a bit."

Daesung whines disappointedly, "the others aren't coming?" He's been looking forward to meet the whole gang again because it's been awhile since their last meeting.

Seung Hyun pour in some wine to all of their wine glasses while Kate brings her last dish to the table.

"Jal meok ge sseum ni da!" Everyone shouted happily and starts to dig in.

Mrs. Choi serves Kate some meat on her plate, smiling at her, "eat lots, Kate-ah." Seung Hyun chuckled silently to himself upon seeing how his mother has grow fond of Kate. "Eat lots, my son." She then said to him, putting the meat on his plate.

"Eomeoni, me too me too!" Seungri do his aegyo like a child, causing everyone to laugh at his silliness.

Just in time, Sandara Park arrives and greet everyone warmly. Even though they both have heard about each other, this is the first time for Kate and Dara to meet. "It's so nice to finally meet you!" Dara said, hugging her tight like an old friend.

The room is warmer and warmer as everyone talks to each other across the table. Daesung and Taeyang laughing like there's no tomorrow, Jiyong and Seung Hyun's parents talking, Seung Hyun and his nephew playing around and of course, Seungri being the entertainer he is to the girls.

"Seungri-ah, stop it!" Dara groan with laughters. "Hahaha arasseo arasseo."

As the night grows deeper, everyone ease themselves with more wine. Some looks at Seung Hyun's collections, some chats at the living room, some plays with the little boy.

Kate and Seung Hyun's parents remain in the dining table, talking about Seung Hyun's well being. Mr. and Mrs. Choi told her a little bit about what he went through over the last few years—the military, the scandals and his works.

They've seen his worst and glad that he came back with such a strong heart. But as parents, they'll always worry whenever he's out alone, afraid if he will get overboard with anxiety and worries.

"You know, last year when he came home from London, he looked... different." Mrs. Choi said to her. "Our son was not the type of person who's very open. Of course he's caring and thoughtful... but not the type to express his feelings with words."

"After London, he would suddenly call us out of the blue and just tell us how his day was going. He would say that work was good and he wanted to finish it as soon as possible or just simply tell us that he misses London." Kate's smile grew wider and wider. "At that time, we didn't had the urge to ask why he's being different or if something happened in London that made him like that." Mrs. Choi gave a small giggle.

"We were just very happy to see him enthusiastic and hoped that something good happened to him. It turns out to be you."

Kate tucked her hair strands shyly, couldn't hide her bright smile. "We really hope that you will continue to strengthen him, Kate-ah." This time, it's Mr. Choi's turn to speak. "I know that he can be difficult sometimes, but will you always be there with him? He's much much better ever since London."

She felt that they've accept her with open arms. Their words mean more than what they can think of and Kate is filled with joy. "Of course I will, Eomeonim, Abeonim." Mrs. Choi briefly hold her hand as a sign of thank you.

"Thank you for accepting me. It really means a lot." She continued, overcoming her shyness. "No. We thank you, Kate-ah. If it weren't for you, our son won't be all smiles like he is now." Their eyes are pointed at Seung Hyun who's busy laughing with the others.

—•—•—

While Seung Hyun change his clothes to his pajamas, Kate stare closely at him, imagining how he was when he got depressed. "What did they tell you?" He asked after realizing that Kate has been staring at him with a blank face. "Huh?" She came back to her senses.

"Did they tell you something bad? Did they tell you to leave?" Now, he's coming close to her with concerned eyes.

"No," She replied. "they told me that you had pretty rough years." She said. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Do you want to know?"

Seung Hyun sat on his chair, facing her who's been sitting at the bedroom bench, "yes. If you want to."

He began to tell her what really happened on those years. The drugs, the woman, the lies, military and probation. Slowly, he's becoming more and more raw and naked in her eyes. But she doesn't know that—doesn't know that he's telling her his deepest secrets and his shame.

"I knew it was wrong and stupid and I did regret it. But you see, I believe that everything happens for a reason. After the scandals and finishing my military service, I didn't want to stay in Korea for awhile because people were still hating me. President Yang told me to go take some time before returning to the entertainment world again so I did."

"I made myself busy with my hobbies, meeting up with Niel, Mark, Jonas and then planning the gallery. That's when I decided to go to London to work on it." Seung Hyun is remembering the time when he was both in Korea and London. The hardship on gaining good reputation again.

"Little did I know that you were coming along. And what makes it funny was that I came to London only for the gallery. I didn't want to meet some women and hook up. I don't even want to be involved with any woman at that time. Yet you showed up in front of me at the pub, then the gallery."

He took a couple of seconds before continuing, "then you started to show up on my mind. When I wasn't even opening up myself, you manage to come in."

She listens carefully to every word he said, memorizing it as if it's a dream. Afraid that she'll forget about it in the morning. "If I can travel back to 2016, I will still choose that path because if I don't, I may have never went to London."

"Never met you."