[33]

I hadn't realized how much of a mess Taehyung had left behind when he walked out of that door. It was only when the other agents followed Lee out after fifteen minutes that I knew how deep in this shit I was.

My eyes caught Jihyun's when he roughly shoved his gun back into his belt, a look of disgust and anger clear on his face. His jaw was clenched hard and his eyes wouldn't move from my face. Hyun on the other hand was the complete opposite. The boy wouldn't look me in the eyes no matter how long I stared at him.
He fixed his gaze on his own two shoes, confused and somewhat upset with whatever had happened.

"Your breakfast Ji" my mother stated, pretending like there weren't twenty people in the dining room a second ago.

"dad.." I started, really wanting him to talk to me. I knew I had upset him and I hoped he'd yell at me, scold me and get it all over with. I was ready to face his wrath but nothing came at all.

He quietly moved towards his room upstairs without a word. The man didn't even bother to spare a look and as if on cue, the other two men in the room exited quietly.

"Dad please, let me explain" I pleaded, following him up.

"There's nothing to explain, Ji. The boy already did it"

"No! It's not what you think it is!"

"What is it then?" He snapped, voice loud and I could hear my mother gasp from a few steps away. "You've been seeing someone I'm trying so hard to get hold of. Dating, is that what you two are doing?" He asked and I stood still, not even nodding.

"Dad, I.." honestly, there was nothing I could tell to calm him down. He had every right to be angry at me. "I'll make him surrender. Give me a chance!" I begged.

A small chuckle escaped his mouth before he finally turned to face me, "I've lost this case already. Having my own daughter do this to me.." He smiled, signs of pain evident in his eyes as he shook his head, "Its alright. We'll talk this out over dinner" he turned away before walking up rest of the span of the stairs, leaving me behind, standing anxiously looking forward to dinner.

My mother was on another end of this thread, "I knew Taehyung had done something to piss your fathed off, Ji. I just didn't know it was this bad" She sighed, serving some food into my plate inspite of me telling her I wasn't hungry.

"I don't know what to do" I confessed.

"Its not a big deal if you think about it" She smiled before sitting down with her own plate. Father had left for work already and me on the other hand, took another day off to stay home with mom.

"You should have atleast given your father hints. He'd have preferred to know this from his own daughter than someone he hates" She drank some juice from her cup before folding her hands on the table between us.

"I was planning to-" I swallowed, taking a deep breath, not wanting to break down yet, "I wanted to tell dad about this".

"You were walking on the edge of a cliff,Ji. Taehyung probably thought it'd be fun to push you off" She smiled a mocking smile. I knew what that meant. It meant she was angry as fuck.

My mother was someone who'd only yell at me if dad was already on my side. Both of them had that little understanding where they'd play good cop, bad cop but ultimately both of them were on the same side. I had no winning here, I could only accept my fate and deal with it as well as I could.

"I like him" mother confessed and hearing those words come out of her mouth at a time like this- I didn't know if I should be relieved or feel guilty that I was putting her in harm's way too. "I adore him. I do think both of you look great together but you do realize it's important to care about what your father thinks right?"

It pricked me to hear that question. "Ofcourse!" I hadn't done anything to offend my father, ever! I didn't care if this was my love life or whatever; if it would put this one man in trouble, I'd drop it without a second thought.

--

We had dinner under the yellow light hanging from the ceiling above, noodles cold in my plate as I twisted the fork around.

"How was your day?" Mother calmly inquired and dad answered her questions, "Not so bad. Got rid of the suicide at the lake, case. That's a relief".

"That's nice" my mother grinned while I sat there, eyes fixed on my plate.

"Dad.." I started again, an attempt to clear things between us.

"Hmm?" He looked up.

My gaze shifted from my plate to his and then to his face. "I..I'm sorry" I didn't mean to tear up. In fact I was trying to be strong and deal with this but I couldn't. With eyes brimming with tears, "I'm sorry" I sniffled.

"Why are you sorry?" He asked sternly. Waiting for my answer, the man calmly got rid of all the noodles hanging off the side of his fork.

"I will break up with Taehyung. I'll never see him again. I need you to be on my side dad, please. I love you so much more than I love him" i brought one of my hands up to wipe the side of my face.

Maintaining eye contact, my father only sighed before speaking again, "Taehyung has murdered so many people, cops, their families just so he can go up this, pathetic underworld feeding chain! Killing many to get one step above everyone else..". Mother paused to listen to the conversation as I sat there quietly. "Taehyung is a killer. You can use a gun as paperweight, but that will not change its nature".

"If you want me to break up with him, I will" I swallowed the lump in my throat, "Give me one last chance to fix this" I repeated.

"Is Taehyung a good boyfriend?" He asked out of the blue and my eyes widened and throat dried a little.

"Wh-he, he's nice to me" I swallowed.

"Don't say that to anyone else" he looked away, twisting his fork around to a point where there was a large lump of food sticking around it, which he could never fit in his mouth. "I don't want anyone using you to get to that man" he pulled the fork away to start all over again.

"I will tell him not to contact me ever again. I made a mistake. I'll fix it " I looked back down. Tears trailing down my cheeks for some unknown reason. Why was I sad?

This one move could prevent my family from falling apart. It'd put me off the harm's way. My life would be peaceful but why? Why did this hurt so much?

"I'm not forcing you to do anything, honey" he reached out to place a hand on mine, "I only wish the best for you. You're old enough to know what's right and what's not. Please don't get into trouble" he smiled before standing up straight. Gulping a sip of water, my father leaned to press a kiss onto my mother's forehead before walking away towards the bedroom, "I love you two".

It hurt even more when I noticed that his plate was still full. Food left untouched while the glass of water beside it was empty. "I'm sorry" I whispered under my breath, a sob racking it's way through my body. With hands covering my face, I cried; not stopping even when mother came over to wrap her arms around me, mumbling soothing words against the top of my head, "shhh, it's okay sweetheart" as she hugged me close.

--

"Taehyung?" I took a breath, muttering all the courage I had, pressing the phone against my ear.

"Yes, What's the matter?" A cheerful voice spoke back. I couldn't believe I was doing this.

"I'm breaking up with you" I bit my lip, digging my nails into the palm of my hand, "please don't try to contact me ever again. Please.." tears streamed down my face at this point, hands shivering on my sides as I struggled to inhale, "Its over".

---