Chapter 23: Mother

Everybody was there. Even people you didn't know existed. Your father organised some kind of ball. People were eyeing you suspiciously and you could hear the whisper. Probably about your father's disappearance and you possibly related to it. But there was one family that you didn't expect.

"(Y/N), we should talk", Kyoya said while grabbing your hand and dragging you towards the center of the room where everyone was dancing. You totally forgot the Ootori family was dragged into this, too, somehow. "What happened to Takashi and Mitsukuni?"

"They're safe for now," you answered still scared what your father will do to them. Kyoya twirled you around while you could feel your brother's eyes on you. "You knew all along, didn't you?" Even though you knew the answer, you wanted to hear it. But Kyoya just ignored the question and pulled you closer all of a sudden.

"You're not safe here, (Y/N). Go to the balcony after this. Someone will be waiting for you. She'll explain everything. Don't go immediately," he said and took a step back when the music stopped. The both of you applauded. Kyoya left without saying another word.

After five minutes or so, you went outside. You had no idea which balcony but you went to the closest one. A dark figure was leaning against the banestery. You didn't step away from the glass doors. The stranger turned around.

"Mom? What are you-"

"There's no time. You need to get out of here," she said grabbing you by the wrists. Put you pulled yourself out of her grasp.

"No, first explain what you're doing here."

"Honey, I-" she saw the serious look on your face and sighed. She quickly looked down at the floor beneath us. "The key is-"

All of a sudden someone pushed me forward. The doors behind me opened. Well, it was kind of stupid to stand in front of them.

"There you are!" your father exclaimed happily. You looked your mother's way only to discover that she disappeared. "I've been looking for you! Someone is eager to meet you." He led you back inside. A man in his mid forties greeted you. He had a glass of water in his hand.

"So this is (Y/N) Shimada? It's a pleasure to finally meet you! I'm James Sanderson" he smiles but it didn't reach his eyes. Your father had an arm on your shoulder keeping you in place. You smiled politely. "May I?" he pointed to your stomach.

"Uhh-"

"Please do. Dr. Sanderson," your father answered for you. He was still smiling and he avoided your gaze. You looked back at the man with a puzzled look on your face. He placed a hand on your stomach. You wanted to push his hand away but your father stopped you. James pushed on several places but never leaving the area of your stomach.

"I can't tell if it's there. I'll have to cut her open," he eventually speaks up. Your father nods once. Then your realised.

He's searching for the key in my body.