Part 29: Because of you

Maria's pov/

I have been visiting the psychologist for two weeks. And to be honest, I think my life changed a little bit, to the better of course. I don't want to go there anymore, but Piper is forcing me to go.

The woman is really kind and is trying to heal the hole in my heart, but no one can do that.

Except for Martinus.

These two weeks have been pretty fun. Our relationship couldn't get any better. If I could give him one thing in my life, I would give him the ability to see himself through my eyes, only then he would realise how special he is to me.

We went today to the park and played football together. Although I was pretty bad, it was fun hanging out with Martinus. Marcus later joined us and grabbed some food with him.

But the basket was totally empty because he ate everything on his way here.

Because we were hungry, I went to the nearest grocery store to buy food for Martinus and I, and that's when I saw someone sitting behind a tree, sobbing and crying.

I came closer to her. She was covering her face with her hands so I sat next to her. I know how it feels to be hurt, so I wanted to help her.

"Are you okay?"

She didn't reply, which made me rethink if I should stay or not.

"Come on, what's wrong? Tell me, you'll feel better."

She raised her head and looked at me. Her nose was red, her eyes were full of tears, she was smiling, but on the inside was hurting.

I didn't know she can cry, I thought she could only insult people and make them feel miserable. I guess we should never judge by appearances.

"Do you mind telling me why are you crying?"

She said angrily while choking on her own words:

"Why? People like me don't talk to someone like you."

"No, no they don't. But people like you can really use a friend right now."

"You don't care about me. You just want to take advantage of my weakness right now to revenge."

"Lola listen, I don't want to revenge. I want to help you."

She looked at me straight in the eyes, I knew she was going to break down any moment. She took a deep breath then said:

"My parents got divorced. My mother traveled to Canada with her new husband without even caring about her only daughter, and now i'm living with my father whose marriage is next week. His new wife is making my life miserable. She is always teasing me, yelling at me, calling me mean nicknames..."

I interrupted her: "Like the joke?"

She avoided any weird eye contact with me. Is she starting to feel bad for what she did?

"Listen Lola, I know how it feels to live without your parents by your side. This is basically the story of my life. It's hard, I know. But you'll get used to it. Always surround yourself with people that cares about you, they are the cure to your saddness. And what I want from you, is to know that being bad and a rebel, will cause you more troubles. No one can live with hate, hurt and injustice. Don't hurt the others, because that won't make you happy, trust me, it will make you feel bad, if not sooner, later. I guess this is how destiny wanted to revenge because of what you do to others."

"Go ahead, you can trash talk about me in front of anyone. I'm.... sorry!"

I stood up and grabbed her hand:

"Don't be! Thanks to you i'm a much stronger person now. And I won't hurt you back. The world doesn't need more broken people, it needs more love. I just hope you'll become a better person."

I turned and left, but before, there was something that I needed to tell her:

"Take my advice, go to a psychologist, I heard it's not for crazy people, it's for the people who wants the change, and maybe you don't know, but there's good in you. I can feel it, you just need to feel it too."

I don't feel sorry for her, because I know that the problem she's facing will show her another side of the world, the better side.

I ran and hugged Martinus. He was surprised because I was so joyful, so before he even asked me, I told him:

"Let's just say that a girl has finally found herself."

I didn't have to explain, Martinus directly understands me. That's why I like him.

Marcus: " So I understand that you didn't grab food?"

The three of us laughed and hugged really tight, then we went back home.

I guess people can change after all. They can put behind them bad habits and move on like Lola. They can prove that they are worth having another chance like Martinus. They can turn their sadness into happiness and benefit from their problems to help the world like me.

It feels good to change, but not to please the others, just to please yourself...

1 part left!