Chapter 38: Mysterious Phone Call

Hera

Everyone was nervous. Especially Aunt Estelle who kept bickering around with her phone in her hand. My mother had disconnected all of our devices so that no-one could trace us. It was a smart plan, but it was freaking my aunt out.

"How dare she?! Claudia thinks so highly of herself, she thinks that she can control me. No-one controls me, I am the most renowned businesswoman in the world. I could have her arrested for kidnapping!"

"Aunt Estelle, enough of this talk about arrests. Calm down, Ma has everything under control." Zeus tried to pacify her, but she wasn't budging. Instead she turned her rants towards the rest of us.

"Oh shut up Zeus, you're as much a part of this as she is."

"We all know that's not true." Zeus said, rubbing his temples.

"She is your mother after all! Your conniving, malicious, murderess demon of a mother..."

"... Aunt Estelle!" Zeus lost his patience with her. I also found myself wanting to pull her head off of her neck for insulting my mother. "Don't insult my mother!" He threatened her while standing over her seated figure in anger. He looked furious beyond words.

Instead of cowering away from his rage, Aunt Estelle instead stood her ground and also faced him, making their eye contact look lethal.

Their fiery gazes towards each other was making me nauseous and for some reason, I felt the need to be excused. So in complete discretion, I rolled into my mother's bathroom and locked myself in.

I realised that I wasn't feeling sick. It wasn't the atmosphere in the room which I was in. It wasn't the need for some air or water, I wasn't even dizzy. Every single thing which I assumed I felt only led to one thing, anxiety.

I was anxious about what was happening back at my grandmother's house. My mother didn't tell us anything, she didn't even try to open up to me about it. This only meant one thing, this was for my own safety.

The fact that she wasn't even willing to put my life at risk said a lot. Whatever was happening was bigger than we all thought. It was making people like Blade and Bullet cower away while my mother of all people felt the need to lock us all up for our safety.

All of it had to do with my father, that part was obvious. My parents never got along, that part was also obvious. They were always at each others' necks, always trying to get on each others' nerves and always trying to win over the other. This time felt different, my parent never involved us in their fights, but the fact that my mother locked us up was proof enough that we were already involved.

But through it all, I just wished that my parents never really disagreed so much. I remembered seeing my best friend's parents love each other so much and that made me wish for just that. But then reality would sink in immediately after my fantasy started to take over and I would slowly come to the terms that my parents just could never get along.

Charles King and Claudia King might have been married, but they weren't happy. That was obvious in the many times my father avoided her and the many times my mother would try to kill him. I always asked myself why she wanted him dead so badly, she could've just divorced him and walked away with some alimony, but she wouldn't have agreed to that.

It was all in her eyes. Her need for his blood. Her need to see him on his knees, she loved being better than other people, but being better than my father seemed to fill her empty soul fully even though it were to be thoughts. If just thinking about it made her ecstatic, how would she react to it actually happening? What would it change about her? Would she finally be happy?