Chapter 45: Queen Awakens

Blade

Rushing to the hospital wasn't very easy because of my injuries, and it already felt like hell because I wanted to go the moment I found out that she had awaken, but because of a stubborn P.D. and a worried daughter, I spent the night in bed. I made sure to leave as early as possible with only Dr. Indurjeeth to accompany me because everyone had to rest.

Everyone was drained, it was evident in the large eye bags and slurred words we were all suffering from. Especially Sarah, who woke up crying frantically and would pray thereafter. I hadn't seen her eat anything since we had arrived here five days ago, but I knew that Charlene and Cynthia had it under control.

It was eight in the morning and it was surprisingly warm outside. I took this as a sign that she hadn't suffered any permanent damage to her brain like I had seen in those romantic dramas Lizzy loved to watch. Those things were just traumatic.

"Is she ok?" I asked while Dr. Indurjeeth drove on the highway in silence. She had strapped me tightly to my seat and threatened to give me an aesthetic if I dared to move, and I believed her.

"Who, Claudia?" She asked, just to clarify, just as she took a left turn towards the hospital.

"Yes. I want to know if she has suffered any damage. Loss of memory? Loss of confidence?"

"Loss of confidence?" She scoffed out with a teasing grin on her face. "That's fortunately not a thing."

"I don't know these weird medical things. I don't understand them and that's why I'd like for you to tell it to me straight. Just keep it simple. Is she ok?"

"You truly care about her, don't you?" Dr. Indurjeeth asked in a subtle voice, and I nodded my head sheepishly. I, unlike Bullet and Charles, was a bit more emotional and I wasn't ashamed of it. "Well you have nothing to worry about, she's better than ok. The coma helped faster than I could've predicted and I'm sure once we get there, she'll be demanding for us to take her with once we leave."

"Yeah, she definitely would. How long have you known her?" I asked nonchalantly.

"Ever since I got my degree. Immediately after I graduated, I was hired. I helped her birth all of her children and whenever they got sick, she had me on speed-dial on all of her devices."

"Wow, how have you managed to cope with all of that and still be able to have a social life?" I asked interestingly.

"I didn't. I didn't really have a family, I ran away when they tried to marry me off to a man almost thrice my age when I was thirteen. How I got from India to here is a long story, but me being here is even longer."

"Do you still speak to your family?"

She parked the car, and stopped the engine. Looking at me, she sighed heavily.

"Just my mother. My whole family has banished me, and none of it was my fault. I try my hardest to reach out especially to my dad and grandmother, but they refuse to have any of it. They've shunned me, only my mother contacts me. Barely. I'm lonely, I have no family, no husband, not even a pet because I'm allergic to dogs and I can't stand cats. So in a way, Claudia hiring me was like a blessing in disguise because it gave me an opportunity to witness what a real family looks like. The way Claudia always has everything under control is inspiring. She is a powerful black woman, and those are rare. I'm extremely thankful to God for her and I am truly dedicated to her and her family. You included. That's why I don't want you to move so much, you're just slowing down the healing process."

"Come on doctor..."

"... none of that now. Stop it or else I'll finish you off. I wasn't even supposed to have brought you here, I should've left you on bed arrest, but look where we are now. So Mr. King, you are in no position to be arguing, understood?"