35. Mentally Ill

~Finley POV~

I stare at the gold dinner plate before me, filled with delicious food I couldn't smell with my blocked nasal passages. But that was fine by me considering that being in the presence of such a disgusting human really dampened my appetite. What a shame. 

"It's not poisoned I swear," Damien Giani states from the end of the long dinner table. My feet had been placed in cuffs allowing free movement of my hands. He was lucky to be sitting so far away because I had the burning desire to choke him out with my bare hands. 

"My cousin and I would have to politely decline your invitation to feast. However, we would like to know what you stand to gain by holding us here," Marius answers for me, turning on the diplomatic charm even though he was farther away from the crown. 

If my cousin Henry, the crowned prince of Bridgeport, were to kick the bucket, I would be next in line to the throne.

Which is horrifying because at this rate I really shouldn't be in charge of anything nevermind an entire country.

"I believe your silent cousin already knows the answer to this question. Go ahead Prince Finley, ask for the answer you really want to receive." Giani says with a devilish grin of pure delight as my formal torture. I really wanted to know why I can't take this golden fork and stab him with it. Better yet, I should hunt for a knife of some sort. I refuse to answer to this bastard's raised eyebrow as he sips his wine and takes a bite of steak.

The doors to the formal dining room open from behind me and I could hear the footsteps of someone entering and closing the same doors behind them.

"Prime Minister Giani sir, my apologies, but it seems we've received information on the rebels. They've moved from their main location and the Graysons are set to land in less than an hour,"

The voice sounded extremely familiar and I close my eyes, praying to God for his sake it wasn't who I thought it was. 

I open my eyes again to see Mari's face across from me and his multi-colored eyes glance up at the figure before we make eye contact.

"Is it him?" I mouth and Mari nods.

Fuck Me.

"The rebels aren't a problem as long as we have these two in our possession. Have the Grayson's agreed to our terms?" Giani asks and the man comes to the table with flaming red hair and forest green eyes I now despised. 

Betray me once, shame on you.
Betray me twice, shame on me.

That's how the saying goes right? 

Leitus Walker stands with his hands behind his back as he addressed his master.

"They agreed to meet with you but you also have the charity gala to attend," He reminds Giani who rolls his eyes.

"Ah, I see. I'll send an invitation to them later. We can talk at the event, have a seat next to the prince of your choice Mr. Walker. Preferably that one," The prime minister points to me and Leitus sits down beside me. Shifting uncomfortably in his seat. I keep a blank face as he does, as difficult as it was not to let my disgust show. I give him a quick once-over to see the only thing that had changed in the past few months since I last saw him was the leather eyepatch he now wore over his left eye. 

 "Where were we?" The prime minister asks as he takes another cut of steak.

"Why do you hate people like my boyfriend? People who have nothing against you or this country." I ask with a small sniffle. He knits his brows in confusion for a second before a lightbulb seems to spark in the dimwitted place where his shriveled brains lied. 

"Oh, you be talking about your wife...poor thing, so far gone into the mental illness. I'm surprised you haven't gotten her the best help money can buy," He pouts with an evil cackle. If I hadn't been receiving signals from Mari's foot, I would have stabbed him right then and there.

"He is not mentally ill, he is a man like any other man in this God forsaken country," I growl 

"Really? The paperwork says otherwise. You would think the prince of a country with a reputation to uphold would stray far away from someone with a history of depression, suicide, gender dysphoria, and self-harm. But you married her instead to give her access to your healthcare. How romantic." Giani laughs out loud and I could feel my cheeks grow hot with anger. 

"Why don't you go ahead and find yourself a real man, like this guy, look he's buff and he was born with real male anatomy," The idiot points to Leitus Walker, angering me further before he calls over a waiter to take his plate. 

"Ah, but I'm not one to get into someone's personal life," He sighs.

"And yet you've put yourself in the personal life of every transgender man and woman in this country," Marius points out and I was surprised to see him so defensive.

"I'll let you in on a little secret, boys," Giani says as he picks up a cigar and moves to the bar.

"You see, when I was five years old, my father left my mother alone with twelve children to raise on her own. It was so hard on her that she committed suicide, leaving me to care for all eleven siblings. I searched long and hard for my father, blaming him for what my mother did. That was until I found him, living his life with a man, claiming to be a 'transwoman' with a whole new family and a beautiful life. It was disgusting," Damien Giani reveals as he takes a shot of whiskey.

"And when I found out, I promised when I had power, that I would take out all trans people, so that would never happen to another little boy," he says and I slam my fist on the table.

"The actions of one transgender person do not define the group as a whole!" I shout and Mari shakes his head. There was no changing this guys mindset. But I could at least try.

"But my personal self-made challenges are beyond the point. Walker, take them to the holding area," He says with the wave of an arm and Leitus stands, bringing a few guards with him to lead Mari and I out of the room.