Precursor

KAEDEN POV-

KAEDEN POV-

A single round chocolate cake sits at the center of the table coated with chocolate sprinkles and topped with pointy sugar cones. Tiny blue striped wax candles surrounding them with a small flame burning at the wick. Maisie fixes a crooked candle while Noell lights the last one. 

"I think I spelled it right," Vahn chuckles as he takes a step back from his gell icing masterpiece. Sonya looks over his shoulder while spreading small bits of blue confetti. 

"Why did you volunteer to write his name if you couldn't spell it?" She asks and he shrugs before helping Cassie fill the last of the balloons with helium. The slightest click of the lock is heard and the five friends quickly scatter into position.

They gather in a circle around the cake and laugh at their friend's shocked expression as he walks in the door looking tired in a suit and tie.  Droplets of rain soaking his thick brown hair but this was ignored when all attention was placed on the large manila envelope he held in his left hand. 

Once Kaeden closes the door behind him they start their planned song.

Happy name day to you!
Happy name day dear 

Kaeden Harper Tremblay!

Happy name day to you!

Holographic confetti cannons explode in Kaeden's direction as he laughs and cries at the same time. 

"Aww, Kae!" The girls squeal as they rush to his side. He slowly wipes the tears flooded with relief from the daunting task he had just completed. 

"Let's see these papers!" Noell excitedly calls out and Kaeden quietly sniffles as he opens the manilla folder to show, still in shock and unable to form words from the kindness of his friends. 

He pulls out the paper certificates, stamped with approval to show his legal name change hereby pronouncing him Kaeden Harper Tremblay on the 9th of October 2135.

 "I did spell it right!" Vahn points to the cake and Sonya quickly grabs it from the other side of the table, sliding it over without blowing out any of the candles.

 "Quick! You have to make a special name day wish!" Sonya reminds him and overwhelmed Kaeden closes his eyes.

 It only took a single second of thought before he found something worth wishing for. 

Something he knew he was going to have to go out of his way to find, but would be worth it in the end.

 Opening his eyes after naming the lengthy wish in his head to anyone above who just so happened to be listening, Kaeden blows out each candle.

 And the twenty blue striped candles are left slightly smoking, without a flame.