43. Scent

~3rd Person POV~

Inside the main ballroom, unaware of the mass chaos and the massacre, the people of wealth talked and chuckled as if nothing was wrong. Drinking and enjoying the party with heavy guards forbidding anyone from going outside. 

Noell was swept off her heeled feet to the middle of the dance floor by the very man she despised.

"Well you're a pretty little thing aren't you?" Damien Giani commented, dressed in all black as he swirled the beautiful Noell across the floor, forcing people to make room for them as he did. Her white dress sparkled in the spotlight and he took her waist.

The pair contrasted each other nicely. 

Like Satan dancing with a dainty angel who felt like living life on the edge for one night.

"I'm glad you think so," She smiles, hiding her pure hatred behind the mask of her pretty face.

He tightens his grip on her waist and pulls her closer. 

"Why don't you follow me to the roof. And bring your friends with you," 

He whispers into her ear and kissed her cheek as he took her for a turn before leading her off the floor. She nods, following him while knowing her friends weren't far behind.

Vahn instantly puts down his tray, calling out through the coms that Noell has the prime minister and Jamie was soon close behind him.

 But a new lingering smell of vanilla and fresh cut grass forces him to stop. Vahn notices and calls back to his blonde companion.

"What's wrong?" He asks Jamie who looked frightened.

"Mari is near...the others are here. You take Kaeden up to the roof and I'll go get them. Don't let Noell out of your sight," Jamie warns and the two part ways leaving Jamie to find the cause of Mari's powerful scent.

Due to his supernatural powers, he could sense his mate's fear and anxiety. 

Mari? Where are you? 

He tries to communicate but fails, meaning Mari was too distraught to focus on his pleas, leaving Jamie to find him the old-fashioned way.

I'm coming baby, I'm coming,

He reassured him, in hopes Mari would pick up something through their telepathic link since they were a mated pair.

Jamie finds himself in the front of the gala and his eyes widen when he finds the mass chaos and destruction taking place right outside the doors.

"Mari," 

He mutters under his breath and looks through a side door, cracking it open to suddenly come face to face with his distraught lover and a tear stricken Finley. 

"Hamie!" 

Mari's face lights up when he sees Jamie for the first time in days and would have pounced into his arms had it not been for the need to support his older cousin.

Jamie quickly pulls the pair inside, pulling them into a dark corner of the party as he takes Finley out of Mari's hands and tries to lean him against the wall, but Fin slides to the floor instead. Unable to support himself.

He turns his attention to the person who was the most important to him and Mari lets out a long sigh.

The city is in chaos and one of his friends is dead.

Mari uses their link to communicate since speaking in the crowded room would be nearly impossible. 

Are you okay?

Jamie asks, concerned about the blood covering his mate's body but Mari quickly answers.

Yes, I'm fine. I only have a few superficial cuts and bruises, this blood is not mine.

Mari explains and Jamie lets out a small sigh of relief before taking off his dinner jacket and using it to cover his sweetheart, feeling possessive. No one could see Mari shirtless except him.

What's wrong with Fin?

He asks as he stares at the young man who looked like a shallow boy, crumpled to the ground.

The adrenaline Cassie gave him must be wearing off. He's sick with a mutated virus and only that demon in disguise has the cure. 

Mari thinks with such anger and fury that his small body started to shake. Jamie nodded and picked up the older cousin who was more like a little brother and carried him in his arms like he was baby. 

let's go before we're too late