Don't Trust A One Eyed Mans Books You'll Be Scarred

I woke up (been using that line a lot) in the hospital (that one too). This time, the only person in the room was Gaara, and he looked worried sick. He couldn't sit still, and he looked like he was thinking something over. I slowly turned to him, the pain, well everywhere.

"Gaara....what are you so...worried about?" I asked through breaths. I could tell that most of my wounds weren't surface wounds anymore.

"Oh, um, it's nothing." He lied. I sighed, rendering it useless to grill him anymore about it.

"Why are you here?" I asked weakly. He lifted his head, and became still. To be honest, it scared me.

"I'm making sure you're alright." I shook my head, closing my eyes. I remembered what Seibai said.

"I'm not...I'm not going to be alright. I won't be able to- to heal in time." I managed. I could feel all the blood just falling out of me. It hurt like a bitch.

"How do you know?" He asked, his voice barley audible. I opened my eyes again. His head was down, like he was hiding something.

"I've had so many wounds, most fatal. M- my healing was taken a-away from m-me too long, a-and it's coming b-back much t-too slowly." I choked.

"You're strong. You can live."

"Why are you so attached to that idea? Why are you so attached to the fact that I'm dying?" He sighed, leaning back in his chair. He looked at the ceiling, as if something was troubling him. Which by now, I could tell something was.

"I don't know." I sighed, lying on my back and staring at the ceiling.

"Can...can you tell me something?" I asked him. He made a noise that sounded like a yes, so I decided to continue.

"What..." I sighed. "what exactly is it like to have people who don't abandon? What is that sense of security like?" I asked, biting my tongue, cursing myself for asking such a question. Yet, glad I did, wanting to know the answer. I made sure I couldn't see his reaction. I didn't want to see it.

"The truth is, you never know. But as long as you make the decisions that are beneficial to your own well being, and the others around you as well, you know that no one that deserves you will leave. No one that you deserve will leave." I thought about that for a second before erasing the thought from my mind. I realized, that I had stopped thinking about the long dead Uchiha. I smiled.

"Karai, I didn't kill your brother." The statement caught me by surprise. My smile turned into an emotionless look, remembering my older brother's state at Ame.

"I know."

"How?"

"I....I saw him. I-I saw him in Ame. He had g-gone mad. I w-wish I hadn't s-seen him th-there." I was getting more and more upset thinking about it.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered after a while. I nodded, trying to ignore everything he said from the past ten minutes.

"Why have you stayed, even if I'm awake, Gaara?" I asked.

"I've been sitting here trying to figure that out." He mumbled, probably thinking I couldn't hear him.

"You're dying as we speak. I want to make sure you live." He said, so I could clearly hear it. I sighed.

"I'll be okay. You must have a bunch of work piling up, I mean, you are Kazekage after all." I comforted. I just wanted to be alone. Also...I didn't want to tell him again that I was going to die. Something about the thought just made me sad, and when I said it before I felt a little guilty. But it was the truth. I only told the truth.