Chapter 5. Reveal

- January 11, 2018 -

Thursday

She was absent today.

At first, I thought she was just late. At 8:10, I was staring at the door, waiting for her to arrive.

At 8:17, she still hasn't arrived.

Park seonsaeng-nim had yet again asked me if I had seen her this morning when she was checking our attendance. I told her no.

I haven't seen her since our encounter yesterday. I didn't see her go to the ice cream parlor. I went to the convenience store last night, just to see if she was hanging out on their roof.

But she wasn't.

At 8:33, I knew she was absent. I could tell that Donghyuck was also waiting for her to arrive because he kept looking at the door. He didn't have to tell me.

I knew he was waiting for her because he kept glancing at her seat. He also kept checking his phone, and I actually saw "Elizabeth" on his phone screen. But there was no new text from her.

I still had no idea if he does like her, though. He still hasn't said anything to me.

It was strange for me. Normally, I wouldn't care if I'd done something wrong to other people. I wouldn't care if they cried because of me. But today, I feel guilty.

I feel like it was my fault that she was absent today. I feel like I did something very wrong to her that she chose not to go to school today. I feel mad at myself for being guilty, for thinking like this.

Have I gone soft? It can't be.

I hated the way I was feeling today. But I couldn't deny the fact that I was, and still am, waiting for her to arrive. To appear at the door. To walk quietly towards her seat. To sit down right next to me.

Seriously, Mark Lee, what is happening to you? What is happening to me?

11:07 a.m. Donghyuck and I went to the cafeteria together where the rest of our friends were already waiting.

We talked about the usual stuff on the way. I tried as much as possible not to mention her in any way (because I didn't want to accidentally tell him what happened yesterday) but he did, when we were discussing about our Math project.

"Why should I be the one deciding that?" I asked him.

"Because you're the leader? Obviously." He replied casually.