Chapter 18. Day 124 of Friendship

I was standing in front of a door, looking at either side of the hallway.

I was in a... hospital?

The door in front of me was white and plain, except for the small room number etched on it: Room 127.

I knew this room. I don't know why I was here or how I got here, but I knew this room. I couldn't remember where I saw this room, but I knew it was an important room.

I knocked on the door, curious as to what or who was inside.

No one answered.

I knocked again. Still, no one answered.

I put my hand on the doorknob and turned it. Surprisingly, it wasn't locked. I opened the door slowly, peeking inside first.

The room was bright, and almost blinding. It had a bed, some armchairs, a TV, and a couch. It looked really familiar, but I couldn't quite put it.

At first, I didn't notice it. But as I opened the door wider, I saw a girl sitting on the couch, looking out the window. I recognized the long black wavy hair.

It was Elizabeth.

I went inside the room and walked towards her, stopping by the hospital bed, then I called out her name.

She looked at me, surprised. Then she opened her mouth to say something, "Mark, I'm..."

"What?" I asked her.

I didn't hear the last word she said.

"I'm..."

She repeated, but no sound came out of her mouth.

"What are you saying?" I asked again.

I really couldn't hear it. It's like her voice is muted every time she spoke the last word.

"I said I'm..."

Her mouth moved, but no sound came out of it.

"Elizabeth, I can't hear you."

She then stared at me, her face showing worry. Then she started tearing up.

"Wait. Why are you crying?"

Confused, I started walking towards her.

She covered her face with her hands and started sobbing lightly. "I'm sorry, Mark."

I knelt down in front of her and slowly removed her hands from her face.

"Hey, don't cry. Why are you saying sorry?"

I was starting to get worried.

"I'm so sorry. I couldn't tell you." She said as tears ran down her face.

A familiar heavy feeling washed over me. I held her hands and squeezed them lightly, trying to calm her down.

"What is it?" I asked her.