Chapter 13|5. Daffodil

『 Birthday Special: Renjun 』

- March 23, 2018 -

Friday

I wonder what will happen tonight.

"Elizabeth." My dad called my name, interrupting my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I said, turning my head to look at him.

Dad was driving me towards Renjun's house, in the next neighborhood.

"Are you listening to me? I said I'll pick you up at seven-thirty." He stated, and I nodded at him. "Are you sure these friends of yours are nice?"

"Yeah. They're nice." I answered him.

"Hm. Okay. Is that Mike guy—"

"Mark. It's Mark."

"Mike, Mark, whatever. Is he gonna be there?" He asked me.

I nodded slowly, remembering how I've been ignoring Mark for the past three days.

Oh god, why did I even do that in the first place?

"Yeah. Pretty much." I gulped down as I answered, my throat feeling a little dry.

"Has he been bullying you again? You stay away from that guy, Elizabeth. I'm telling yo—"

"Dad, he's nice, okay? He's my friend now, and he's actually a nice person. We just got off on the wrong foot. And we've talked about this. I told you, he's the one who's been picking me up and walking me home because he lives on the same street."

"I know, I know. I just wanna be sure. I'm just protecting you. I don't trust that Mark." He sighed as he continued driving.

We turned to Renjun's street, which I hoped the car navigator got right.

"I know," I looked at him and smiled, "but he's a good guy now. Trust me."

He drove until we reached the house where the car navigator directed us.

"I trust you. Have fun, okay?" He told me, then he reached for my head and kissed it.

"I will." I smiled.

"I'll pick you up at seven-thirty, alright? Oh, and don't forget your gift. You're quite forgetful these days."

"Sorry, Dad. Thanks." I removed my seat-belt and got out of the car, bringing Renjun's gift in my hand, which I forgot to bring earlier.

I had to go back home to get it, that's why my dad picked me up at school. And he drove me here because, well, he doesn't want me to walk all the way from our house.

It's a good thing I forgot though, because I would've had to walk with them, and that would've been awkward because I was ignoring Mark for some reason which I, myself, don't understand.

Well, actually, it was the headache. And the cramps. And this inexplicable irritation towards Mark. And Seoyeon.

Ugh. Why do I even have to remind myself that?

I hesitated in front of the house. I wasn't sure if I was in the right house, because I suddenly remembered that time last month when I knocked on four wrong doors before I got to Mark's house.

God, that was embarrassing.

I exhaled deeply and hoped for the better, walking towards the front door and ringing the doorbell.

It didn't take a minute before the door opened and Renjun greeted me.

"Elizabeth!"

"Hi! Happy birthday, Injun!" My face lit up as I gave him a friendly hug.