Chapter 16. Gone

I thought I would be happy.

I thought if I hated him enough, it wouldn't hurt.

I thought if he was gone, I'd be free.

But it turns out, I was more locked up.

Locked up in guilt, regret, and sadness.

I wasn't free.

And now he's gone.

The five of us gave Elizabeth the flowers that we bought from one of the stalls

The five of us gave Elizabeth the flowers that we bought from one of the stalls. She was so surprised and touched. She told us that she's never received flowers before, even more so because she's never had a boyfriend.

"You don't need a boyfriend, Elizabeth. You have us. We can make you happy five times more than one boyfriend." Jaemin said, in which she laughed and just rolled her eyes.

"Who says I was looking for a boyfriend? You guys are more than enough." She said as she smiled at the flowers that we gave her.

They were white roses.

She promised to keep the flowers alive as long as she could and of course, that made us happy.

I was happy because for the first time, I knew how it felt to make someone important to you happy.

Seeing Elizabeth smile genuinely and being the reason why felt wonderful. Like I could just hug her and never let her go.

But of course, I had to refrain myself from doing so because my friends will kill me. And she might find out about my crush on her, which I was keeping a secret from her.

I wasn't confident enough to tell her yet. I feel like I will get rejected if I confess to her. I was afraid that if I do, it will ruin our friendship.

I didn't want to make it awkward between us, and I just wasn't ready yet.

Perhaps, some time in the future...

Anyway, we just went and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon in the school festival. We went inside the horror booth and had some fun. The students really put an effort in their work.

We went in groups of three, and we played Rock, Paper, Scissors just to be fair. Jeno, Renjun, and Elizabeth went first. Then me, Donghyuck, and Jaemin.

While most of us tried not to scream and embarrass ourselves inside the horror booth, Elizabeth laughed all the way. Or so they said.

Jeno and Renjun told us that she didn't even react so much at the biggest attempt to scare her. She just walked through the room like it was nothing, and she giggled at their reactions instead.