Chapter 30. Paradise in the Sky

- August 22, 2018 -

Wednesday

"You keep surprising me, kid. What is it with you and Areumi? Are you his boyfriend now?" Mr. Moon was sitting across from me at the lunch table.

We were at the hospital cafeteria, waiting for Elizabeth and Mrs. Moon.

The doctor was talking to them for her schedules, and possibly the medicines that she needs to bring, in case something happens to her.

"Uh—no... sir." I replied a little nervously.

It was unnerving to have this kind of conversation with the father of the girl I like. But somehow, I felt a little confident to have this kind of conversation with him.

"You're not in trouble, son. Don't worry. I just wanna know," he said, looking at me intently, "do you like my daughter? I know when a guy has a simple crush on a girl. But you, I could sense that it's more than that."

"She's... she's special to me." I replied with conviction.

He was a little surprised, but he just nodded his head at me. "Tell me, have you ever had a girlfriend before?"

"No, sir. I haven't. Elizabeth's the first one that I've liked so much. I—I don't think I can live without her."

As much as it was embarrassing, it was also making me a little sad to think about living without her.

I've been so used to her presence, to her very existence, that I don't think I can live without her.

"That's gonna be a problem then, don't you think?" He sighed. "As much as I hate to admit it, we all know she won't stay for long."

"I know. But that's why I'm doing this, Mr. Moon. For her. I want her to experience great things in life, I want her to be happy. I just... want her to live." My head was down and my voice was low, but I knew Mr. Moon heard me.

"You really are full of surprises, Mark. At first, I didn't like you. But then there you are, sacrificing a lot just for one girl. Just for Areum. I can't believe I'd say this, but I'm glad she's friends with you."

I jolted my head up and when I did, I saw Mr. Moon smiling at me.

"I'm glad to be friends with her too. She changed me." I smiled back at him as I thought about her.

"I can see." He nodded, then asked, "are you really serious with her?"

I didn't need to think of reasons to answer that question. I didn't need reasons.

All I need is her.

"Yes, Mr. Moon."

That was all I said, and that was all it took for Elizabeth's father to tell me, "then make her the happiest girl alive."

"