Chapter 2

(Written July 28, 2014)

I wonder whether my brain just amplified the sounds to seem louder than they actually were.

As I move towards my door, I try to rationalize the source of the noises. But my heartbeat continues to accelerate as anxiety paralyzes every inch of my body. A familiar, yet distant feeling overcomes me. I've felt this way before. I try to remember when. And then, it dawns on me. The last time I felt this way was when I was told my brother, Connor had passed away.

Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.

I can't move and it's hard to breathe. My voice quivers, "breathe Liz, please breathe. It's all in your head. Nothing happened." I look up at the ceiling and consider the source of the sounds.

Moments before, I had been confident that my parents were passed out on the couch, but now, it sounded as if they had instead flipped the couch over. Did something happen to them? I wouldn't survive if something did.

Life suddenly returns to my legs, but just as I run for the door, I hear a shriek.

It's Dad.

I swing open the door and run into the hallway, following the echo of his voice. My body comes to a sudden stop in the living room and I instantly collapse on my knees. The sight is worse than I could ever have imagined.