Chapter 32

(Written November 23, 2014)

TWO DAYS LATER

(Liz's POV)

I hold Jason's hand tightly. The doctor suggested I start talking to him as it might be good for both of us. It's still hard to believe he's in a coma. Today I've come to see if there's any improvement and to tell him about my pregnancy in hopes of eliciting some type of response from him. The doctor says that it's unlikely he can hear us but that we should still try to connect with him. I want the first ultrasound to be in his presence, so Liam came up with the idea of doing the ultrasound in Jason's ward. As the nurse sets up the machine, I look at Jason and whisper, "Hey, how are you holding up, babe?" When I get no answer, a tear falls down my cheek, but I take a deep breath and gather myself together. I hold his hand tightly and lie down on the bed beside his. The sonographer comes in and asks, "Alright, Liz, shall we begin?" I look at Jason's innocent face, lying beside me emotionless. "Yes, we are ready but one sec, let me tell him the news."

(Jason's POV)

It's all black. It's been black forever. Sometimes I feel pain in my body, but I can't see anything. Everything is pitch black. I want to go home. I miss Liz. Oh God, please, I want to go back. I occasionally hear voices, but they always sound muffled, as if they're in a vacuum hundreds of miles away.

"Jason," it's Liz speaking. Wait, it's Liz. Am I waking up now? Oh, thank you, God, thank you. I hear a pause and listen carefully again. Liz must want to say something. This is the first time I've heard her voice in forever. I try my best to listen carefully. "Jason, I'm pregnant. Ready for the ultrasound?"

P...pr...preg...pregnant? Liz is pregnant? With my baby? Is this a dream? It's getting hard to breathe now. All of a sudden, I feel pain shoot through my body, and the darkness begins to fade away.

(Liz's POV)

The sonographer opens the bottle of gel and spreads it on my stomach. It's cold, and I shiver, but I turn my head and look at Jason to distract myself. I'm still holding his hand tightly. The sonographer says, "Liz, we can now see your baby. Here, look on the screen." Liam gets up to look as well. I'm about to turn my head to face the screen, but then I feel a tight grip on my hand and the machines around Jason begin to beep.

Before I can say or do anything, the sonographer runs out and yells for a nurse or doctor to come. Liam helps me sit up, and Jason is still holding my hand. Then I see his other hand move. "Liam, his hand!" Then his toes move a bit, and the doctor rush in. Jason slowly opens his eyes and looks directly at me. I sit too shocked to move. The sonographer stands behind me and says, "Oh my god, I think it's a miracle!"