Chapter 15

(Written August 5, 2014)

I walk into the living room and start calling businesses, asking if they have any open positions. After two calls, I still have no success; both places say I need retail experience, which I don't have. I look at the next place on my list: Payless Shoes. As I begin to dial the number, Jason comes in.

"I'm going to work, so I'll see you later," he says.

I smile and reply, "Okay, no worries. If I'm gone, it means I'm out job hunting, but I'll write my number on the fridge."

He nods and gives me his number just in case of an emergency, then leaves with a goodbye. As soon as he leaves, I redial Payless's number and start speaking to the manager.

After a few minutes, I hang up the phone and stand still for a second. Then, I start screaming and jumping for joy. I didn't expect the manager to do a phone interview, but she did and asked me to come right away for orientation since they're short-staffed. I quickly run to the bedroom, fix my appearance, change my clothes, and leave the apartment to find the nearest bus stop.

About fifteen minutes later, I step off the bus near Wal-Mart and Payless, my new workplace. As I get closer to the store, my stomach tightens and I get nervous. I open the door, and a cheerful, middle-aged lady greets me.

"Welcome to Payless. Can I help you with anything, dear?"

"Hi, sorry, I'm not a customer. I'm Liz, and I'm here for the job I called about a little while ago."

She pauses for a second. "Oh, right! Welcome, dear. My bad. Come on in. I'll introduce you to your new coworker, and he'll teach you everything, from finding shoe sizes to running the cash register." As she rambles on about how she just had to fire someone for numerous absences, I silently thank God I called about the job. We walk to aisle three. At the end of the aisle, someone is up on a ladder, stacking shoe boxes.

"Liz, this is your new coworker," she says.

The boy pauses, looks down, and we both look at each other, surprised, realizing we know each other.