Chapter 33

(Written December 14, 2014)

(Jason's POV)

"It's a miracle," is all I hear as I open my eyes. I look at Liz first, and she's sitting there with a mix of shock and excitement. Then she begins to cry while laughing. Liam is beside her, also crying happily. I look back at Liz. Her face looks older and tired, marked by stress and tension. Then I remember the reason I'm awake and glance at her stomach. In a weak voice, I smile and whisper, "I'm a father?"

She nods.

I let the feeling sink in, and then panic hits me. Oh my God, will I be a good father? What if I can't take good care of Liz and our child? What if I let them down? My thoughts race. Liz, as if reading my mind, slowly gets off the bed with Liam's help and bends down by my ear. "Don't worry, you will be a great father."

In that second, all my tension disappears, and I smile. Then the doctor interrupts us, "I think Mr. Jason should get some rest now," and Liz and Liam nod in agreement. I nod too and let sleep take over me. As I fall into a slumber, I dream about running around Toys "R" Us, trying to buy Barbies and Hot Wheels, because I still don't know my baby's gender. Did Liz tell me? I don't think she did, or I would have jumped out of bed in happiness.