Chapter 6

(Written July 31, 2014)

I widen my eyes and see a guy walking towards me. He approaches the bench and stays still for a second. He seems to be my age.

"Oh my god, hey! Um, do you mind if I sit with you?"

If anyone else had approached me, I would have grabbed my bag and bolted away. But this situation is different. My legs feel like jelly and the guy gives off a calm and comforting aura.

I get up slowly while fixing my hair. He's taller than me, with tan skin, brownish-blond hair gelled up, and blue eyes that remind me of the ocean.

I nod my head and gesture towards the space I've created on the bench. Am I losing my mind? Why do I find his presence comforting?

He sits down, and we both stare at the ground. Silence lingers in the air for a few moments, and then he clears his throat. "Why were you lying here so late at night?"

I glance over at him. "I could ask you the same question. Why are you strolling in a park at 3 am?"

He chuckles.

"Well, I live in that red apartment building with my roommates. I just had a heated argument with them both and came outside to calm myself down. But Liz, why are you here and not at home?"

I freeze after hearing my name. Does he know me? But how, from where?

I start to get up and say, "how do you know my name?"

"Oh my god, I am so sorry for startling you, Liz. I didn't realize you forgot me. It's okay, you're safe. Please sit down, and I'll tell you."

I sit back down on the bench.

"Let's see. Liz, do you remember anyone by the name of Jason Johnson?"

I think for a brief second, and suddenly an image of a blond nerd appears in front of my eyes. It's the same nerd who had a crush on me from fifth grade till tenth grade when he moved away.

I look back at the face staring at me now. I nod and feel my cheeks turn red.

"Damn, Liz, have I really changed that much in three years? It's me, I'm Jason!"

He laughs again but my only focus is my burning cheeks and heavy eyes.

His name barely comes out of my mouth as tears begin to stream down my face. "Jason?" I and hug him tightly.