Chapter 17

(Written August 9, 2014)

Somehow, we end up in the store Le Chateau, a place I've never entered, let alone shopped at before. It's pricey, except for the clearance aisles. As I stroll through the store, I'm mesmerized by numerous beautiful dresses, but one in particular catches my eye. It's stunning, so much so that I wish I could slip it on right then and there. I've never been one to fuss over clothing, but this dress is different. It's long, flowing, red, with sparkles adorning the chest area. Beneath the sparkles lies an intricate design resembling waves. The fabric feels cool and silky to touch. I reach for the tag and my heart sinks as I read the price - $150. With a heavy heart, I reluctantly place the dress back. Despite having enough money, I can't justify splurging on a dress when I have other responsibilities to attend to. Besides, where would I even wear it? With a sense of disappointment, I return to Jason to help him find a gift for his friend.

We browse through numerous dresses until we finally settle on the perfect one - a peacock-colored dress priced at $100. "Liz, I'll cover this," Jason offers. "Would you like to look at anything else?" I shake my head, opting to wait for him outside the store.

The ride back home is quiet and serene, yet the image of the red dress lingers in my mind. Upon arriving home, the guys begin to get ready for Kiara's party.

I sink into a bean bag chair and turn on the TV. A show called Pretty Little Liars is playing, and although I've never seen it before, I find myself captivated by the chaos of the characters' lives. Unlike the guys, I have no plans for tonight, so I allow myself to be drawn into the drama on the screen.