Chapter 18

(Written August 10, 2014)

As my eyes are fixed on the TV, I glance away to see Liam and John emerge from the bedroom. "Wow, guys, you look great," I say with a laugh. "Thank you, ma'am, but why the hell did Kiara have to make her party formal? I mean, like come on, man," Liam says with an amusing yet annoyed expression.

Then Jason steps out in a suit as well. I look at him as he blushes. "Hey, Jason, not bad, man. I mean, you don't look as good as me, but still pretty good." Jason smacks Liam, "I think you need glasses, man. Obviously, I look better. Anyway, you both go to the car, I'll be there in like 5 minutes."

With that, Liam and John leave.

"So, how do I look, ma'am?" I laugh, "You look dashing, Jason Johnson." He looks around, "Well, thank you for the compliment, ma'am, but there's something missing." He takes out a box from behind him, "I need a date, could it be you?" He opens the box, "this is for you, Liz, will you wear it and come to the party with me?"

It's the same red dress I had seen at the store. "I can't take this, Jason, it's too expensive, I'm sorry." He sadly pouts, "Please, Liz, I bought it with lots of love. Think of it this way, this dress is your present for all the years I wasn't able to gift you something for your birthday."

Hesitantly, I agree and I walk into my bedroom with the box and quickly change into it. Then I brush my hair and put it to one side. There's also a small necklace and earrings in the dress's box, which I put on. Once I have some old lipstick on, I walk out to the living room where Jason is waiting patiently. He smiles, grabs my hand, and we lock the apartment while leaving. Liam drives the car, John sits beside him while Jason and I sit in the back.

The whole ride, I sit quietly, full of nerves, while the guys bicker. Finally, we arrive at the party and it looks lavish. Kiara's parents must be rich because how can a 19-year-old afford this? Jason opens the door and whispers, "Don't worry, I will be with you the entire time." Then, altogether, we walk in and are greeted by Kiara, who looks beautiful. One by one, we hug her, and Jason gives her the gift right away. I smile as she quickly opens it and falls in love with the dress. "Oh my god, Jason, this is amazing," she hugs him once more and leaves to change into it. We all walk around, and Jason introduces me to a couple of his other friends, my old classmates.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, can I please have your attention!" We look up to see Kiara and the girls behind her holding her cake. "It's cake cutting time." We all gather and sing Happy Birthday. Once we are done, Kiara yells, "Let's start our special activities for the night!"