Chapter 29

(Written October 25, 2014)

(Liz's POV)

All I feel is pain. All I hear are beeping sounds. All I taste is the bitterness of medications. All I smell are chemicals.

I slowly open my eyes and see a nurse smiling down at me. I lie there calmly for a few seconds, confused. Then it hits me like a boulder.

Jason... restaurant... man... gun...

Panicking, I muster all my strength and scream, "JASON!"

Someone rushes in. It's a doctor, not Jason.

"Ma'am, you're okay. I need you to take deep breaths."

But I can't calm down, can't control my fear, so I keep yelling until the doctor sedates me. As I begin to be sucked into a tunnel of darkness, I hear the doctor talking to the nurse.

"Liz... Jason... shock... cover up... can't stress her... Mr. Liam..."

Then everything goes black once again.

(Liam's POV)

As I see the doctor come out of Liz's room, I wipe my tears. "Doctor, how's Liz doing? You didn't tell her anything, right?"

The doctor takes a breath. "Mr. Liam, can you please come to my office?" I nod and follow him. Once we reach his office, we take a seat, and he continues. "Mr. Liam, I think it's best if you tell your wife what happened." I wince at the word "wife." "Friend. She's my friend."

"Apologies, Mr. Liam. You need to tell her calmly when you think she can handle it, but not too soon. It won't be good for her to have stress in this condition."

"I understand, doctor. Wait... condition? What do you mean by condition?"

"Since you're her emergency contact after Jason, I'll disclose this to you." The doctor looks at me and says, "Mr. Liam, Liz is pregnant."