Chapter 1

Alijah POV

"Alijah are you done packing"  My mother spoke as she entered my room.

"Almost. I just have to finish getting the rest of the things out of my closet and I'll be done" I said back to her.

"Okay, dinner should be ready in about 15 minutes," she said turning to walk out of my room.

I remained quiet,  nodding although her back was already to me.

I had one week until I had to leave the place I'd called home for about seven years. California would now be my new home. I was leaving behind my friends and most importantly my best friend Amber. But on the bright side, there were family members who live out there.

Me and Amber are really close. We've been inseparable ever since diapers -- since our moms were best friends. She was the only person I could trust and the only person I could talk to without being judged. She had my back through thick and thin, no matter what the situation was, she was always there for me.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when I heard loud banging on my door.

"Yea?" I yelled to whoever was on the other side of my door.

Then the door opened and Selena came trudging in with a big goofy smile on her face.

"Wassup sis," she said flopping down on my bed.

"Why were you banging on the door?" I frowned as I sat a folded shirt in the large tote that sat beside me.

"Just wanted to bother you."

I grabbed a pillow and threw it at her.

She side-eyed me then threw it back in my direction but I dodged it and made a goofy face at her.

"Anywho what do you need sir?" I asked jokingly.

She flicked me off before speaking. What are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing as of now, I was gonna call Amber and see what she was doing. Why what's up?"

"I just wanted to see if you wanted to go to Kendrick's kick back with me" she looked up at me from her phone.

Kendrick is Lena's "boyfriend", they should just break up because neither of them is faithful. They both know they're cheating on each other, sadly.

That's why I'm confused as to why they're still together. But that's none of my business.

"I don't know..."

"Yeah, you're going," she cheered jumping up from my bed running out of my room before I could protest any further.

I grabbed my phone from the charger and dialed Amber's number. She answered on the third ring.

"Hello," she said sounding annoyed.

"What's up with you?"I asked her scrunching up my eyebrows.   " Nothing I'm just annoyed that I can't find anything to wear for tonight, what are you doing?"

"Nothing I was just calling to see if you wanted to go to Kendrick's kickback with me and Lena tonight but I see you already have plans. "

"Oh I'm sorry, we can hang tomorrow though, if that's cool with you?" she said as if she was asking me.

"Sure. Where are you going tonight anyway?"

"Oh, Dillon's taking me out tonight! It's our nine-month anniversary," she said excitedly, I smiled.

I was so happy that she'd found somebody that actually made her happy. She'd always managed to go out with the biggest douche you could think of. Dillon was a good person. He was a year older than her, but her parents liked him. That was good because her parents never really liked any guy for their daughter.  Especially her father.