Chapter 3

"Five hundred dollars?!" I exclaimed to the mannish looking woman behind the glassed wall. She had short cropped hair, was on the heavier side, and wore absolutely no makeup. But you could tell she was a woman. "That's half my paycheck and I haven't even paid this month's rent yet." I complained to her, hoping she took pity on me from explaining my financial situation. Carlos was slightly behind me the entire time as she explained to me how much it would be to get my car out. She snorted grotesquely at my poor attempt of trying to persuade her into helping me, and chewed on her gum loudly with her tongue swirling around in her mouth weirdly as she chewed with an open mouth.

"Welcome to LA, sweet cheeks." She said in a voice that reminded me of the woman-like slug behind the counter on Monsters Inc. I glared at her, running a hand through my hair as I stressed a moment, and then sighed in defeat.

"Here." Carlos's voice offered as he had his wallet out as he stepped forward, handing over what seemed to be a card of some sort.

"What? No!" I said as I grabbed the card from his hand, and held it away from the woman who had nearly grabbed it from his reach. "Carlos, are you crazy? That's a lot of money." I whispered to him as I held the card to my side. Carlos smiled sincerely and grabbed his card back with a quick motion.

"It's fine. You can pay me back one day. It's what friends do." Carlos smirked, assuring me as he then began handing over the card once again. His eyes went to the woman as she took the card through the payment slot of the glass window, and her eyes roamed my friend beside me.

"You got a nice friend there,miss." The woman informed me, as she was looking at Carlos as if he were a piece of meat. He looked uncomfortably away, as he had no idea how to respond to her list filled eyes, and then turned to focus back on me.

"Carlos, I won't be able to pay you back anytime soon." I told him quietly, concerned for what he had just done. Both his hands grasped my shoulders, making me face him, and look him in the eyes.

"Are you planning on moving out of California, or not speaking to me again anytime soon?" He asked staring me in the eyes with an amused grin. I sighed rolling my eyes.

"No, but-" I started.

"Then it's settled." He assured me. Dropping his hands from my shoulders. "We can be best friends and you can pay me back in twenty years from now, when your campaign goes wild and you're getting money from donations left and right because you founded it and you get a cut if all the profits." He smiled as he took the card back from the woman who slid it through the slot, and signed the receipt before shoving it back towards her without another glance in her direction, I'm sure he was uncomfortable with the attention she seemed to be paying him. I sighed and stuck out my bottom lip in protest. "Come on grumpy, we will drop off your car in a legal spot at your apartment, then we will take my car to wherever your little heart desires for a dress." Carlos said offering me his arm like a gentleman. I rolled my eyes and smiled taking his arm, looping mine through his as we headed out to get my car.

We did as Carlos said and found a legal parking space in front of my apartment building. We then headed back into downtown LA and found a boutique I had googled and stated they would have my size in dresses. We wandered in and immediately started arguing about dresses.

"This is too casual." I said to the dress Carlos held up. He snorted looking up at the ceiling for a moment .

"It's my party, I think I know how casual things are going to be." He told me looking back down to me. I tilted my head as if to say 'really?'. He hung the dress back up then with a sigh and started looking again.

"How casual or formal is this dinner party?" I asked him then, curious to see what exactly I should be looking for. He sighed.

"Formal enough that I'm wearing a button down and slacks, but casual enough I can go without a tie, jacket, and can wear sneakers with my ensemble." He said as if that would help me. I snorted.