Chapter 24

Hours later I was listening to music as the pilot informed us we were prepping for landing. As we landed, I waited for everyone to leave first and then I got off. I walked out with my luggage and purse with me and went to find a rental car place. I had written my mom the day of reading her letter and so hopefully she knew by now that I was coming. I rented a small black Chevy Malibu and got in after putting up my baggage.
I took my phone out and dialed James's number. Being back in Tennessee was weird for me. I would have to drive three hours from Nashville's airport to the farming small town I grew up in.
The call went through finally.

"Hey?" I asked.

"Hey! How was your flight? Everything okay so far?" James asked.

"Yeah, so far so good. I am a little worried though. I haven't been back in five years. My minds a little dull on streets and stuff now." I told him getting on the freeway. I turned my phone on speaker and had my phone sit on my lap.

"You'll be fine. Your phones still charge from being off during the flight and you can use GPS if you have to. If not, call me and I'll get on google maps and talk you through it." James laughed which made me feel at ease.

"You should've came with me." I told him. He sighed.

"We didn't even think of that..." James said as if it was obvious. I giggled.

"It's okay. We will survive a few days without each other." I informed James.

"I know. Well, I'll let you go so you can get going. In an hour or two Carlos and Alexa and I are going over to the house and we are gonna paint some more." James said.

"Already? I've been gone a few hours and you're already painting?" I asked surprised. James laughed.

"I get bored without my Netflix buddy." James defended himself. I laughed.

"Alright, I'll text you later with what's going on." I told him.

"Alright. Love you, babe."

"Love you too sweetheart." I told him as we both hung up.

For the rest of the drive I listened to music I hadn't in a long time, country. However it was different when I first was listening to it, it was still good non the less today. I drove down familiar roads and through smaller towns than the one I grew up in. Eventually I made it to my hometown's welcome sign and it felt like I was back in high school. I passed the post office, the small grocery store, Walmart right next door and then was in the neighbor I grew up in. I drove down seeing familiar houses and fences cover in either ivy or weeds. Then there it was, my old house with the same black pick up in front of the house of my dads and then a little red car for my mom, but then a silver car which I assumed was my brothers. I parked on the street in front of the front yard and took a deep breath. I got out, grabbing my purse, and walked slowly down the sidewalk and up the driveway. I got to the door and held my breath. I checked to see if any of my tattoos were showing in case they gave my mother a heart attack and put her in the hospital, too.

I sighed seeing as I couldn't cover some of them when I was in a tshirt, so I'd have to wear longer sleeved shirts and long pants. That wouldn't be a problem considering it was fall in Tennessee. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath wanting to run away, but the door opened already.

"Liz?" My mothers face was placid. I smiled shyly.

"Hi." I said unsure of what to say. Her obviously Botox injected face then crumbled and tried look like she was over joyed to see me.

"I didn't know you were coming." She told me.

"I wrote a letter back to you." I told her as she obviously didn't get it.