Chapter 16

I went to my door and got my key ready, I went to hold the knob so I could turn the key, but the door immediately creaked open. My heart started racing as I held my breath. My head immediately jerked to look over my shoulder to no longer seeing James's car anywhere. I internally groaned fearing the worst. I looked in and only saw darkness in my apartment. I slowly took a step in, thankful I never wore heels as they would've been a give away to my presence. I didn't dare speak a word, I had to find something to defend myself with. I could see into my bedroom and saw no sign of anyone. I tiptoed quietly in there and grabbed a bat I kept behind the door of my bedroom. I walked out of the bedroom slowly. I walked past the bathroom which was empty, then hesitated going into the living room or kitchen. I took a breath and took a step into my living room.

The person was there. They had Oliver in a pillowcase from my bed as he was hissing and clawing at it to try to get out. I walked slowly and raised my bat about to lower it onto this persons head, when he saw me in a mirror above the couch. I didn't know his face, but he didn't look too happy. He turned around and grabbed my bat. He yanked it out of my hands and pushed me. I fell onto the floor. He tried grabbing what he could of what valuable things I owned; a small flat screen tv, laptop, iPod, and a few expensive jewels he stuffed in his pocket that my grandma had given me before she died. He held it all under one arm and then raised the bat to me.

"Call the police and you're dead." He threatened me. His violent blue eyes seemed to glimmer under the moonlight. He had a beard and very ratty black clothing. He started to walk slowly around me as he then almost tripped over my foot. He did it himself, I hadn't moved my foot, but he figured I tried to stop him.

"Dumb bitch!" He exclaimed and knocked me out with my own baseball bat. I couldn't get up after that. I couldn't move, or anything. I felt stuck in a pillow case just like Oliver. Eventually I came to enough when a paramedic asked me my name.

"Liz." I said quietly, feeling tired. I could see the moonlight through the window, people were staring down at me.

"Okay, Liz, we are going to need you to stay awake until we get you to the hospital, okay?" He asked me as they lifted me up onto a stretcher. He seemed nice, bleach blonde, almost no eyebrows, brown eyes though which didn't look right with his fair hair. I nodded wincing slightly.

"But I'm tired." I complained. The man nodded as I was being lifted and then carefully carried down the steps of my apartment.

"I know, but stay with me. You lost a lot of blood and are suffering from a severe head injury, Liz." He informed me. I hadn't felt that much pain when he hit me with my bat. I was surprised I didn't feel anything now.

"My cat? Where's my cat?" I asked panicked a moment.

"He's being taken care of. The contact we called were under Carlos and Lex?" The paramedic said walking beside me now, his hand on mine as they rested at my side. I nodded gently.

"My friends." I said breathlessly.

"Will they be contacting your family?" He asked as he sounded like a business oriented man. I shook my head barely.

"My family live far, far away. Carlos and Lex are my family." I mumbled losing consciousness slightly as I tried to remain awake.

"Liz, stay with me." The paramedic snapped above my head. My eyes shot open as I thought about what happened tonight.

"James. I need James." I started saying frantically.

"He has to know I'm okay. Please call James. Please." I pleaded to the medic. He nodded with sympathetic eyes.

"Your contact will be informed." He assured me. They carried me into the parking lot, where I could see it wasn't raining anymore.

"Oh my God! Liz!" I heard Lexi's voice. My head tried to move as I cried slightly.