Chapter 20

I woke up alone in James's bed. I had fallen asleep vulnerable in his arms. I felt as if I was naked this morning. I didn't want to face James yet. I didn't want to be that girl who cried herself to sleep in her boyfriends arms. I wanted to be that fun girl, not the emotional one. I hadn't said anything after James gave me his little speech, he simply made me feel special and allowed me to feel a real connection with someone who cared for me. I got up to the freezing air of the morning. It was six in the morning and James wasn't here. I got up and threw on my sweatshirt again and stood next to the fireplace to warm up a little before venturing into the rest of the house. I sighed not getting fully warm and slipped on my slippers out of my bag at the foot of the bed. I opened the door to the living room and could see James's body at the computer in the corner on the desk. He was in dark jeans, a blue-gray tshirt, his glasses, and an olive green zip up hoodie. Oliver was on his lap as he clicked on the computer. This made me happy, just watching this was enough. I mean, I loved my cat, he was my only companion for all these years and now he got along with the man who said he was in love with me. I walked slowly towards James as he turned his head and saw me. He smiled, such a sweet smile.

"Hey." James said picking Oliver up and setting him on the floor. I smiled and walked up to him. I wrapped my arms around his midsection and just stood there enjoying his warmth as he put his arms around me.

"Thank you." I whispered to him.

"For?" He asked rubbing my back.

"Being you. Making me realize I'm not alone." I told him squeezing him tighter. James then took my face in his hands and brought my forehead to his lips. He lingered there as I closed my eyes enjoying the gesture of endearment.

"I'm always here." He finally said. I nodded looking up in his eyes. I wanted in that moment to say 'I love you', I wanted to shout it or everyone to hear in this universe, but I held it in.

"What do you want for breakfast?" James asked finally breaking our embrace. I shrugged not really sure what I even wanted to do. He smiled sweetly. "Anything your little heart desires." James insisted. We walked down the stairwell to the kitchen and stood in front of the fridge together. I looked up to him.

"Let me make you breakfast." I smiled. James shook his head.

"You're suppose to be resting, you need to heal." He said. I sighed.

"Not like making breakfast will crack open my head again." I said grabbing a carton of eggs. James sighed.

"Fine, but I'll sit over here and watch you like a creep." James teased letting his finger tips linger on the small of my back as he walked over to the island and sat on a barstool. I smiled happily as he sat with his head on his arms resting on the counter. I scrounged around in the kitchen finding pancake mix in the cabinet and fresh blueberries in the fridge. I cooked James's first and then presented it to him.

"Wow, she's fabulous, smart, beautiful and can cook? Dang." James said to himself but winked at me. I leaned across the counter and gave him a kiss.

"Dang, he can be sweet and taste just as sweet." I winked then making my own breakfast. I sat next to James as we ate. Afterwards, we did and put away dishes and James smacked my butt telling me to get dressed and that we had some grocery shopping to do.

"Well then." I said blushing as I climbed the stairs in front of James. I went back into the bedroom and checked out my hair, the braid was loose but it looked like it had intended to look that way. I left my hair in the braid, put on dark jeans, put on fuzzy socks on my freezing toes, white Converse, a yellow blouse with a white cardigan. I covered up my bruised face with foundation, realized my left eye was a little swollen when I put on eyeliner and mascara. I had a natural cat eye going on with a pretty pink lip stain. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand to see it was indeed cracked, most likely from when I was pushed.