Chapter 28

"Liz. You're back." My mom said as I walked down the stairs leaving John and James in John's room talking about James's projects from the past. She had just walked through the door. I nodded.

"I am." I said. She took off her jacket and had a bag full of stuff in her hand.

"Uh, I thought you would've left already." She said.

"I am going to help you with anything for dad's funeral." I said trying to ignore my own word choice. She smiled.

"Very kind of you, but I think we are just going to cremate him and spread his ashes in the forest somewhere." She said waving it off. I walked the remainder of the stairs to be even with her face.

"No. We are in fact going to have a service, with a casket, and we will bury my father. We are using his life insurance to make sure he's sent off properly." I said because I knew she'd use the remainder of the insurance money to do whatever to her face. My mom looked me dead in the eye as I stood my ground.

"Sure, if that's what you AND John want." She said as if John would side would her.

"It is." John said from the top of the stairs next to James. I smiled at them as they walked down.

"Who is this strange man in my son's room with him?" My mom asked as if James was some sort of pedophile.

"Oh yes, you haven't met James. Mom, this is James. My boyfriend. James, my mother." I said as John came to stand next to me on one side and James on the other.

"Nice to put a face to the name." James said offering his hand. She shook it looking starstruck by James which gave me the creeps.

"Honey, you can call me-" she started as she played with her hair.

"Mrs. Allen." I said before she could stop.

"It's actually Johnson now." She said.

"Mrs. Johnson." I corrected myself. James then grabbed my hand and took the other one away from my mother.

We then all went into the dining room and sat at the table while Mike yelled from the living room.

"So I was thinking closed casket," I started as my mom was staring at James. "Mom? Hello?" I asked as James had his hand on my knee uncomfortably. John then groaned.

"Mom's checking out your boyfriend." John mumbled. My mother then gasped.

"I am not." She said sounding shocked to 'hear such a thing'. I rolled my eyes.

"Anyway, mom." I said as she redirected her attention from James to me.

"Yes honey." She said overly sweet.

"I want it closed casket. Our last memories of dad should be when he was at his healthiest." I said speaking for John's sake since I in fact was left with the worst memory. Mom nodded.

"Whatever you feel is needed, sweetie." She said letting her eyes drift to James. John looked from left to right seeing his mother make googly eyes at his sisters boyfriend and he took a breath.

"Mom." John then said. James then cleared his throat then looked at me.

"I have to go make an important business call. John, okay if I use your room?" James asked. John nodded.

"Take your time. Please." John said annoyed. My mom watched James leave the room, checking him out.

"Sweet Jesus." I mumbled frustrated. John then moved where James had been sitting and we were across from our mom.