Chapter 36

We officially received all of John's records and documents about a week before school started and were able to register him. Two weeks after the photoshoot, James and I headed to register John who sat in the back of the car reading a book of short stories and poetry that I had picked up for him one day after one of the late night commercial editing meetings with Alexa and Carlos. James drove as we listened to the radio and Kendall's song came on the radio. James went to change the channel as I stopped him. "Why are you changing it?" I asked James. James sighed.

"I don't know." He answered. I shook my head.

"Just because I had a thing with him, doesn't mean I'm eternally going to shiver when I hear his voice." I told James feeling the goosebumps on my arms form as James glanced at them and snorted. He then reached forward and shut off the radio. I sighed. John then leaned forward.

"You had a thing with who?" He asked. I sighed as James felt uncomfortable as well.

"Kendall Schmidt." James said as I refused to answer. I shot him a glance as John gasped.

"James's old bandmate? Lead singer of Heffron Drive? You dated him?!" John asked excitedly. I rolled my eyes.

"She actually wasn't dating him. Kendall and I both had things with her and she called off both of them for six months, but she chose me." James said touching my knee.

"You are freaking crazy woman." John shook his head.

"Will both of you shut up?!" I exclaimed annoyed by their commentary. James took his hand back from my knee and John leaned back in the seat.

"You haven't talked to him James." I said glancing at James's profile. He rolled his own eyes then.

"I've tried." He mumbled.

"Have you really?" I asked not believing him. He nodded.

"He said he didn't have any interest in speaking to me." He said.

"Why?" I asked him. James snorted.

"I don't know maybe because I didn't pressure you into picking me and he thought I did?!" James asked annoyed now too. I didn't know this new information.

"He thought you pressured me into choosing you?" I asked as John leaned forward and watched my face and then turned to look at James's. James nodded pulling into the high school parking lot.

"He did. He said you would've picked him if it hadn't been for me asking about you all the time." James said parking along the school and we all undid our seat belts. I sighed.

"So he won't talk to you because of me?" I asked feeling a little guilty. James shrugged.

"It doesn't matter." James said getting out and slamming the door. John and I then got out and I caught up to James who already started walking.

"It does! Because of me, you lost one of your best friends! That's not okay. I feel responsible." I said glancing around the campus of the school. James stopped and faced me.

"No, it isn't your responsibility. You knew you loved me from the beginning, and you just needed your own space for awhile after you realized that. He couldn't wait to give you space it seemed like. I lost one of my best friends because he fell for the wrong girl." James said angrily. I sighed and walked into the school as I could see James and John walking inside slowly behind me.

I registered John and we were set. We didn't speak of Kendall again which was weird and we acted like we hadn't just spoke about him moments ago. We all toured the school alone and met some teachers who were setting up classrooms that John would be in a week from now. James didn't even try to hold my hand. He simply walked along side me and spoke only to John willingly unless I talked to Him first, then he spoke to me. I felt weird about the whole Kendall thing and didn't know if I should do something about it myself. "What clubs does it say they have here?" I asked John sitting at a bench outside the school. James sat next to me as John sat in the grass. He looked through the paperwork in his hand and skimmed the clubs list.