Chapter 31

We made it back to my moms house and we followed each other inside. John nervously looked into the living room to see Mike in his chair and watching tv as if they just got back from a walk.

"Mike, where's my mom?" John asked.

"Kitchen, ya little shit. Keep it quiet." Mike said lighting a cigar. James's eyes bulged at the name calling. He was furious. We made our way to the kitchen as my mom downed one cup of wine and was filling the now empty glass back up.

"Mom, can we ask you something?" I asked her as I had my hand on John's shoulder.

"What?" She asked taking a cigarette out of the belt of her dress and lighting it.

"Can you come sit down at the table?" I asked her as we three sat. She sighed grabbing her wine and taking a drag. She sat down and winked at James making me roll my eyes.

"Mom," I started as Mike came into the kitchen.

"Why you people always sitting at that damn table?" He asked. These people were changing before my eyes, and I assumed they were changing because they didn't feel the need to impress me anymore and they were letting their guard down.

"They keep asking me to sit here." My mom said back. I cleared my throat as Mike grabbed a beer and stuck out his tongue in my direction as if he were a snake, tasting the air in my direction, and took a swig. I wanted to gag.

"Anyway, mom. I was wondering if you would allow me to become John's legal guardian?" I asked her straight to the point. Mike took the beer out of his mouth and glared at me. My mom looked stunned.

"You're crazy, aren't you?" She asked. I furrowed my brow.

"How is that?" I asked. She took another drag.

"Honey, you have no idea how hard it is to raise a kid. You can't do it, like you said you live in a shoebox." She said. I rolled my eyes.

"I used to. Now I have a house, a two bedroom. I have my foundation and I have a blog that makes me money because I'm sponsored." I told her. She laughed.

"You're not getting money from me if that's what you're wanting." She said. How could someone be so dense? John rolled his eyes this time.

"She has money, mom!" He yelled. Mike pointed at him as if it were a warning. James stood then.

"Excuse me, but you aren't required to be here. This is between your wife and your step children. You have no claim on them whatsoever." James informed him, his voice stern. He knew what Mike had done to John and he sure was upset about it. Mike raised his eyes brows and walked close to John which made James take a step closer to John as well.

"Hey! You two calm down." I said as Mike looked like he was going to take a swing at either one of John or James. Mike looked at me and then at my mom.

"You're gonna let your kid go live with your other one who doesn't even look like she's able to take care of herself? I mean, do you want your other kid looking like this fat sack?" Mike asked my mom as if I wasn't there. My anger boiled hearing him speak about me. I couldn't stop John that time though. John  seemed to levitate out of his chair and did a number on Mike's face.

"Oh my God!" My mom shrieked and dropped her cigarette in the ash tray on the table. I jumped up too and grabbed a hold of John and pushed him against the wall.

"Calm down! We don't want to ruin our chances!" I told him. John looked at Mike still on the ground. James was just as angry.

"You ever say anything like that about her again, I swear you'll live to regret it! Don't speak to her or John again, next time I'll be the one all over your ass!" James yelled down at Mike as my mom cowered down next to him. He was furious.