Judgment Day

"We hope that you enjoyed your stay," Mr. Rui told me from behind the counter in the lobby, standing up in his red suit and taking a short bow. "Vancteck City enjoyed your stay, and again, we congratulate you on your victory."

"Thank you very much," I managed to smile even though I felt like crap today and wasn't in the best mood.

June and I had stayed a few more days at Vancteck Mansion at the insistence of Mr. Rui. I didn't think June was too eager to be traveling with me at the moment, so a few days for us to try to calm down sounded like a fine idea.

She stayed in the bedroom, coming out rarely, sometimes leaving the room altogether, but she didn't speak a word to me at first.

I had been sleeping on the sofa outside of the bedroom and didn't attempt speaking to June, either. I felt bad and didn't feel that I deserved to say a word. I even feared June may be the next to leave.

It took a while, but finally, she began to speak a little. It started with a simple, "Good morning." It grew into, "I'm heading out for a bit." Eventually, we were eating together in the bedroom, and even laughed together while watching some cartoon I'd never heard of called Venture Hour.

"Where might you two be heading off to for your next Badge, if you don't mind me asking?" Mr. Rui asked.

"Well, I thought that maybe we could head off to Castelia City," I said hesitantly. Based on how much of the map Castelia City took up, it seemed to be a huge place, but it wasn't the ideal place I wanted to go to next. The map informed me that it was the Bug Gym ran by someone named Burgh. Realizing that made me shudder, but it also was the closest Gym.

"Ah, very well, then," Mr. Rui nodded slowly. "There's a train that you can catch that will take you directly there. It's just outside of this building, to the right. You go straight down and you'll see a sign directing you to the right and you'll see the subway."

"Oh, wow! That sounds great!" I exclaimed. I hadn't taken a train in years.

"We'll get to Castelia in no time," June noted.

"Thanks a lot."

"It is my pleasure," Mr. Rui bowed deeper. "Good luck on your journey."

"Bye!" June and I called to him as we walked to the door, held open by a beautiful woman in a blue top and skirt.

"Come back anytime!" she said cheerfully.

"Thank you," I smiled, my eyes stuck on her beauty momentarily before I looked away, and June and I made a right, heading down the path directed to us by Mr. Rui.

"Good thing I wore my jacket," I said as I dug my hands into my pockets, a harsh wind blowing against us. I rubbed my arm, which was no longer wrapped up, against my side. It didn't really hurt anymore and was just itching a bit and was scarring over.

"I think that's a little light," June commented. "You need a real coat." She adjusted her thicker, baby blue coat.

"I have one, June," I said impatiently. "I'm fine for now. It's only gonna get worse."

"Yeah, winter is coming quick. But that also means that New Year's is also coming up!" June looked up into the late afternoon sky. "I remember our last New Year's together, Gary."

"Great," I mumbled. That wasn't something I cared to remember, and I kept it out of my mind with great failure.

A man and woman held hands together as they walked past June and I, giving us a kind smile.

I smiled back and looked away, a shy feeling spreading throughout me.

"Mommy! Mommy!" a little girl cried out from the other side of the moving path between us.