The End Of The Road

"June, I said I was sorry about ten million times," I grumbled sleepily. "Can you yell at me in the next three hours when the damn sun comes up?"

"Don't you talk to me like that!" June barked.

"I won't talk to you at all!" I shouted. "Just let me get some damn sleep! It's freaking late!!"

"I will never forgive you for what you did, Gary!"

"Yeah, I know, June! You've told me this for the past few days already! I swear, it's like, with all that damn jabbering coming from out your big mouth, it's been taking us longer than ever to reach Interough City! We should have been there!"

"What did you just say?!"

"It's hot enough as it is! Maybe if you'd shut up for an hour, we might get somewhere!"

"Ooooooo... Garyyyyy..." June was fuming, her face red with rage, her fists shaking under her chin.

I was so tired, but this sudden argument had me feeling just a little bit more alert, now.

We had been traveling for three or four days, but we still hadn't reached Interough City, despite the fact that we should have definitely reached the city by now.

June was still understandably furious at me over the whole incident regarding her and Electivire's past leaking out to Courtney, thanks to me.

I understood her anger, but I was only human. I could only take but so much, and right now, I felt like I had held my tongue for long enough.

A dark sky hovered over a surrounding forest, the area more humid than it was actually hot. It was very muggy and a damp feeling hung through the air from the rain that had stopped a few hours ago.

The air was filled with tiny bugs I couldn't see in the dark, but I could feel them bumping into my face and buzzing in my ears, making my skin crawl. I desired to dig into my sleeping bag and hide from all of the insects until I woke up to continue traveling, but I couldn't with June screaming at me. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to sleep now!" I snuggled into my sleeping bag despite the heat, and I immediately knew that I wouldn't be inside of it for long. I had to inhale and exhale deeply just to breathe! And I was right. I wasn't in there long, but it had nothing to do with my lack of air. My sleeping bag was yanked down past my head and I looked up at a glaring June. "What is wrong with you?" I demanded.

"You! You are what's wrong with me!"

"Then why don't you just beat it! I'm not forcing you to stay here, June!"

"You're always treating me like crap and putting me down and being mean to me! But when Ella comes around, you're suddenly all shy and stupid!" June snapped.

"Hey!" I struggled out of my sleeping bag and got to my feet angrily.

"Then you go and tell Courtney something you knew damn well I didn't want her knowing!" June had clearly lost control, because she reached her arms out and shoved me back.

"Whoa!" I stumbled over my feet, shocked at her action, and I landed back on the ground.

"I can't stand you!! I CAN'T STAND YOU!!!"

"Well, I can't tolerate your stupidity any longer, either!" I grabbed my sleeping bag and stood up. "Maybe I treated them differently because they weren't complete idiots like you! Maybe they showed some level of intelligence and sensibility! Even Courtney is a little more rational than you!"

June gasped long and loud. "How... dare you!!" She ran at me before I could move and shoved me back down. With a loud, hurt cry, she kicked dirt up at my face.