Innocence Lost

The enormous, black canvas hung high in the air, littered with glitter, sparkling above the three of us beautifully. The constant chirping of crickets surrounded us.

"Sure is romantic, don't you think?" Courtney asked, walking close to me.

I looked away from the sky and turned to see Courtney smiling at me. "Yeah," I muttered quickly, looking back up. Sighing, I moved over to the side, a little bit further from Courtney.

June turned her head back and stared at us coldly as she led the way through the woods.

We'd been traveling for what felt two hours, the tight gathering of trees around us giving us more space the further we walked.

My jacket was unzipped on this surprisingly warm night.

"Need help with something?" Courtney asked June with disdain.

"As a matter of fact, yes," June answered, scowling at her. "Is there a reason you're here?"

"Huh?" Courtney responded, shock on her face.

"Why are you following Gary and me?" June asked Courtney. "I'm rather curious."

"Oh, am I intruding on something, here?"

"Don't try and change the subject," June snapped. "I don't remember inviting you to this group, and I don't recall hearing Gary invite you in, either. Now, what exactly do you want from us?"

Courtney snickered, a smirk on her face. "I certainly want nothing from you."

"Why don't you go beat it?" June growled.

"Because I don't know where I am," Courtney told her. "I was pulled into this craziness. A bunch of ancient Pokemon were set loose somehow due to some mumbo jumbo those crazy guys were talking about in Twist Mountain, talking something about that group, Team Solace, I find myself in some strange dream world thing thanks to a Beheeyem, and then we all stumble upon an amazing little piece of paradise inhabited by Tranquill that is burned to the ground by some more wackos claiming to be from Team Solace. Then, when we finally reach a town to find out where we are, your Rotom ruins everything by getting some poor child snatched up by a damn-"

A shrill scream escaped June's throat as she leaped at Courtney.

Courtney cried out and dropped to her knees, covering her face with her arms as June slapped at them repeatedly.

"June, cut it out!" I yelled, and I grabbed her shoulders and pulled her back.

"Stop saying that about my Rotom!!" June screeched, trying furiously to break away from my grip. "Say it again!! I dare you!! One more word!! Get off of me, Gary! I'll kill her! I'll kill her!!"

My grip was slipping as I dug my fingers into her shoulders, desperately trying to hold her back. "June, what is wrong with you? Stop it! Cut it out! Enough, already!"

Courtney got to her feet and dusted off her clothes, swallowing nervously as she stared at June and adjusted her glasses. She then brushed aside her blonde hair with both hands. "Well, it's no wonder Gary isn't your boyfriend with that kind of attitude."

June burst out angrily and broke free from me, but I was ready for her and I tackled her around her waist to the ground, holding her down. She kicked and screamed from underneath me, clawing at the dirt as she growled like a pitbull, trying to reach Courtney.

"I don't know how you put up with her, or why," Courtney shrugged, keeping her eyes on June as she walked around us and deeper into the woods.

"You know, sometimes, I don't know, either," I said angrily, glaring at June.